Butterfly's @ kew

Glass Wing @kew by joncrowuk, on Flickr

Butterfly @ Kew Tree nymph (Idea leuconoe) by joncrowuk, on Flickr

butterfly by joncrowuk, on Flickr

Taken @ kew Gardens in glass houses
    Canon 5d + sigma 150 macro + tripod

Re: Butterfly's @ kew

Hello Jon

As a study, #1 glasswing is superb, but as a photo it has to be #3 for me. I have a slight concern that the buds "appear" to be sharper than the main subject, so I would blur them and their stem down a touch.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

lovely photo's Jon.
      1 and 3 the best of them but I can 2 being a really great shot too. the pity is the angle the butterfly is at, otherwise, a really tight photo on the head and the flowers, with the small dropletts, the faded wings in the background . . . if only the little begger could have turned slightly! great shots though Jon.
      were you using a flash as well?
      David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
      All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Jon, I like these particularly #1 and #3.

#1 I like as a great record shot with loads of detail and unobrusive background, #2 the DOF and angle of the butterfly doesn't help you and as Colin has said #3 is great as a photograph rather than a record shot.

I can't see any real shadows so am assuming that either you used natural light or a ring flash

Comment

~1 No flash used for this one but a loads more time , the flash was attached but kept making them jump / twitch so turned it off

~2 This one was far in the plant and any other angle or further back would have ruined it for good , so I took a chance with that angle

ended the day with a very sore back though , set up tripod focus put eye on view finder gone lol

~3 Colin I will have a go at blurring the buds , I must admit now it does pull your eye away from the subject

All natural light taken in the glass houses on a bright day

Glad for the comments Jon

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            Hello Jon

As a study, #1 glasswing is superb, but as a photo it has to be #3 for me. I have a slight concern that the buds "appear" to be sharper than the main subject, so I would blur them and their stem down a touch.

Colin
            I agree entirely about the sharpness of the buds in #3 (the best of your shots here IMHO). It's a wee bit ironic to be thinking about blurring parts of an image as, at the moment, I'm preparing to give a talk to beginners at a local camera club on how to get sharp images in camera !
            Alan.

Comment

Working...
            X