Where to shoot deer? (Not Scotland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to shoot deer? (Not Scotland)

I live in Milton Keynes and would like recommendations for shooting wild, or nearly wild, deer. The local deer park, Woburn Abbey, has several herds of deer in its deer park but there are restrictions on where visitors can go to get their shots, and the permitted roadway can be a very long way from the deer as the park is so large. (And stopping isn't permitted.)

How about Bradgate Park north of Leicester?

We visited Gelli Aur Country Park( near Llandeilo) last summer, and by not going on the recommended deer walk, I got some good video of deer very close to the visitor centre! The younger and fitter members of the family missed this treat!

What's Richmond Park like? Is it OK during the day, or does one need to visit early or late in the day?

Many thanks for any suggestions, and particularly for places with good access for my car as I depend on it for carrying my heavy tripod and lens.

Here's one from Woburn - pity about not getting its feet!
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

Re: Where to shoot deer? (Not Scotland)

Hi M Stewart (not the newsreader?)

I can only comment about Richmond Park, London. I live about 10 miles away, and I've taken Deer shots there a few times. If you trawl far enough back on my Flickr account, you may find them! I can't check from work (Flickr is restricted!), but I may have created a separate group in Flickr.

It depends on where the Deer are on the day as to whether they're close to a car park! There are several car parks in the park, so access is good - you can drive a circular route right round it, plus several smaller roads to some of the ponds. (all roads are strictly 20 mph, so cyclists overtake you!)

There are several herds, and they are quite approachable, but I never get too close (not like some tourists do!). Some great shots to be had, with very natural and open backgrounds... but as with any wildlife, luck plays a part! They are usually more active during the early and late day time.

Not sure if that helps or not! All the best, Mike.

P.S. Richmond Park is quite close to Barnes WWT, so you could combine them both! Alternatively, let me know when you're going, and if work permits (or it's a weekend), we could meet up!
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Re: Where to shoot deer? (Not Scotland)

Richmond Park can be good, but as with most wild/semi wild, they don't perform on cue. To get the shots you really want, bank on a few visits. Similar for the New Forest.

October/November during the rut is best, as their mind is on other things and they are less likely to get spooked if you get too close.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Working...
      X