Yala Leopard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yala Leopard

Just back from 2 weeks in Sri Lanka which included a few days visiting Yala National Park. Since I knew we would have a good chance of getting to see some interesting animals up close in their natural environment I decided to hire a lens that might give me a chance of getting some decent shots. So I hired the EF100-400mm f4-5.6L IS USM (I think this is called the trombone action lens as it is the push-pull focus version). I'd never used this before and on reflection should have hired it for a weekend before we travelled so I could get to grips with it.

I took a load of images - most of them just out of focus or the animals were just too far away. It was particularly difficult because we were in the back of open 4WDs driven by aspiring Word Rally drivers - who were desperate to please (tip pending). Often I would be about to press the shutter when we would be jolted forward so as to get a few feet closer.

Anyway to cut to the chase on our last day of 3 and with light fading and the park closing time fast approaching we (and the contents of the M25) came across this guy. He was initially in a tree but my shots of that are tiny and mostly just OOF or too soft. Not long after we arrived a family of wild boar passed under the tree and this was enough to prompt him to stretch and sniff the air and think about an early dinner. Lucky for us he climbed down and eventually appeared out of the bush and I managed to get this.

I know it's not as sharp as it could be so I would appreciate all advice from the wild life gurus here on how I could have done better. Is it just a case of not fast enough shutter speed for that length of lens ?

EXIF is :
    5DMK II
    ISO 400
    f/5.6
    1/125 sec

Apart from anything else it was a privilege to see such an animal in it's natural (apart from us spectators) environment.

Thanks for looking
    Scott

Yala Leopard by anderson.council, on Flickr
    Last edited by anderson.council; 20-04-2015, 11:59. Reason: typo
    Scott

500px flickr

Re: Yala Leopard

It is not looking too bad at all Scott, considering the shutter speed of only 1/125 - the image stabilisation has helped I think, but for animals moving, irrespective to the focal length, you really need at least 1/500 to be sure of the shot and if chasing, then well over 1/1000 and good panning action

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan. That's what I thought, shame I didn't remember it at the time.
      Scott

500px flickr

Comment

I would be pleased with that Scott, well done
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks Peter. I sort of am pleased but at the same time annoyed with myself that I didn't go for a faster shutter speed (& higher ISO)..
          Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
            I would be pleased with that Scott, well done
            agree, its a shot I would love to have taken - well done
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

What a beautiful animal. I'd be delighted with that shot.
              Russell
              Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Smashing shot mate

Comment

Thanks Ian & Russell. There is an element of luck in being in the right place at the right time but I guess you also have to be prepared - hence my renting the 100-400. I agree it is fantastic to be able to get a shot like this - my only disappointment is that I took so many shots and can't really use most of them - but I'm trying to tease a few more into something presentable.
                  Scott

500px flickr

Comment

agree Scott - I'm probably more like you and enjoy landscape and as soon as things start to move around too much it all gets a bit of a lucky shot...but you should be pleased with your photo
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

There is certainly something in that Ian. Next time I know I'm going somewhere like this I will visit a local wildlife place first to hone my skills a bit more.
                      Scott

500px flickr

Comment

That is a great shot Scott and you were very lucky to have seen a leopard. I have seen more wild animals in other parts of the world than in Sri Lanka. I have been to the Yala sanctuary about three times but have never seen any worthwhile animal. I don't know whether you were aware that the Yala Sancturay has got 3 zones- the outer one where most people go to; then there is another inner sanctum (ring/zone) where you have a better chance of seeing wild animals and then there is the central,core zone, which has a building and you can put up there for a day or two. You have to engage your own cook,pre-arranged when book, and it is from here you will have a really good chance of seeing the wild animals elephants, Leopards & similar. The fees also vary with the inner,core zone attracting the highest fee. I don't know whether tourists going to the Yala sanctuary are advised about these 3 zones.

Anyway, once again, a superb shot of the Leopard. well done.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Nat.

Wikipedia reckons Yala has one of the highest leopard densities in the world but that might just mean that the rest of the world is in more trouble than I realised. However other friends who were on the same trip saw a leopard (possibly the same one) on their first day and yet another group saw a herd of approx 20 elephants - while we only ever saw 1 at a time. I remember when I visited Kruger Park (SA) in 1990. We saw Wild Dogs on our first morning - and later met a couple who had been going there for 20 years without ever seeing them. Pure luck on our part.

As I said in my ending sentence we both felt extremely privileged to have seen this.

A couple of tree shots here. I had to bump the exposure and vibrancy to make these presentable and I am well aware they are not the best quality but it does provide some context to the other shot.

Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Shame you did not have good light for these shots. However, it is a good record of your visit and a memento of this magnificient animal. Looks like this is a female and appers to be pregnant- by the size of it's stomach!
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Nat. As it happens the driver/tracker told us it was a male. This was when it was in the tree about 100m away and nowhere near as large as I've shown here so I asked them how they knew. Simple. Size. Males are bigger.
                              Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X