• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Scottish Red Squirrel

Squirrel by R MAURINS, on Flickr
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: A Scottish Red Squirrel

Well done , assume this is totally wild and not attracted to feed stations ? Love the tail .

Comment

Nice shot

Tom

Comment

well exposed but the background and particularly the oof leaves in front of him spoil the image. Far better to bide your time and wait for a clear shot

assume this is totally wild and not attracted to feed stations
        cant say I have ever heard of anywhere with a feeding station for red squirrels, even those n Brownsea are totally wild
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

There are bird feeders all over the place and special feeders for the Squirrels at pretty much every RSPB or SWT site, but the animals are certainly wild. This shot was taken not too far away from feeders, which now only have nuts and sunflower seeds in them, there is a theory that bird seed has contributed to the Squirrels getting Leprosy. I was sceptical, but as can be seen this ones in fine order, so maybe the seed ban has helped.
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            cant say I have ever heard of anywhere with a feeding station for red squirrels, even those n Brownsea are totally wild
            Shame you felt the need to defend your Reds photos Stan , what was that about ? There is nothing wrong with taking photos of birds / animals taken by using food to bate them in , but it takes more skills to take animals totally independent of human interference , or from ready made hides in my opinion . Virtually any one can trot off to places like Gigrin and Richmond Park , and come away with half decent photos of Kites and Deer , they are used to people in such places and more tame , catching those animals out in the sticks is a totally different ball game with different skill sets .

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
              Shame you felt the need to defend your Reds photos Stan , what was that about ? There is nothing wrong with taking photos of birds / animals taken by using food to bate them in , but it takes more skills to take animals totally independent of human interference , or from ready made hides in my opinion . Virtually any one can trot off to places like Gigrin and Richmond Park , and come away with half decent photos of Kites and Deer , they are used to people in such places and more tame , catching those animals out in the sticks is a totally different ball game with different skill sets .
              Well said, lots of places in the North have feeders for them, it is one of the things that is preventing their decline, the decline is caused by lack of food due to greys and disease.. Anything to encourage them is a good thing in my eyes.
              Last edited by TonyT; 25-02-2017, 03:00.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

really like the red "sitting on the fence" thinking of his feeder! I tried wild reds near Balmoral last year and failed, too skittish, anything that helps them survive is welcome,

Comment

Working...
                X