Robin on the Fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robin on the Fence

I wish I could have got closer so i didnt have to crop in so much, the noise levels are off the chart. Anyway, here we go :)

robyn by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

Paul

300mm
    600D
    75-300mm F4 USM III
    f/5.6
    ISO400
    1/200th

Edited exposure in LR4.
    Last edited by Paulstw; 27-11-2012, 16:38.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Robin on the Fence

Still nice, even with the noise.

What lens, focal length, aperture, ISO and shutter speed did you use?

Cheers

Ian
    EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Originally posted by celtex View Post
      Still nice, even with the noise.

What lens, focal length, aperture, ISO and shutter speed did you use?

Cheers

Ian
      Sorry Ian, I've added in the information :) Cheers I really like this one
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Ok, ignoring the noise thing which you aware of, a thing I might have changed would be the crop. If you going to crop in then remove the 2 extra bits sticking out at the bottom as well. I like the DOF, colours and considering ..... sharp as well. Well done.

Could you perhaps post the original without the crop so we could see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ants - Anthony Robbins View Post
          Ok, ignoring the noise thing which you aware of, a thing I might have changed would be the crop. If you going to crop in then remove the 2 extra bits sticking out at the bottom as well. I like the DOF, colours and considering ..... sharp as well. Well done.

Could you perhaps post the original without the crop so we could see.
          Yes no problem, this is the JPG straight out the camera, I shoot RAW+JPG so it's handy if LR decides it cant read the catalogue which has happened a lot today

Robin on the Fence by Campsie Photography, on Flickr
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks Paul,

I asked because I have got very similar kit, except I have a tamron 70-300 and I just know if I had taken this at the 300 end it would be nowhere near as sharp

thanks

Ian
            EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by celtex View Post
                  Thanks Paul,

I asked because I have got very similar kit, except I have a tamron 70-300 and I just know if I had taken this at the 300 end it would be nowhere near as sharp

thanks

Ian
                  That's nice of you to say that Ian thanks :) I did use a little sharpening in PS. However, with a newer technique using high pass, I think it could have been better. I get a little lost on PP to be honest, and sometimes make things worse lol
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul, it's a lovely shot and you have done everything you can to bring the best out of it and get the right composition. In some respects you have tried too hard and that is to a large extent, where most of the noise has been generated. The more you move those sliders to lighten and sharpen, the more noise will be generated.

The trick is to do what you need to, not what you can. In this instance, you don't need to sharpen the background, or even lighten it too much, so just work on the Robin. Make a selection of the Robin and the part of the fence still in view, lighten and sharpen. Move to the background layer and lighten just a little. Crop, Flatten layers and admire the result.
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                      Paul, it's a lovely shot and you have done everything you can to bring the best out of it and get the right composition. In some respects you have tried too hard and that is to a large extent, where most of the noise has been generated. The more you move those sliders to lighten and sharpen, the more noise will be generated.

The trick is to do what you need to, not what you can. In this instance, you don't need to sharpen the background, or even lighten it too much, so just work on the Robin. Make a selection of the Robin and the part of the fence still in view, lighten and sharpen. Move to the background layer and lighten just a little. Crop, Flatten layers and admire the result.
                      Any advice is great, thanks for taking the time Colin :) I shall use this advice wisely :)
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

A nice picture of a Robin standing proud. Don't see many around here.

Kevin

Comment

The fence needs looking at in the spring
                          I like the original posted image, very nice
                          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X