Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIF practice at Barnes

Hi

Whilst at Barnes on Sat 20th, I decided to try and shoot ANYTHING that I saw flying. I set myself this challenge to try and think and react quicker on the camera controls to set up the shot as fast as I can.

The following are 3 I quite liked from the day... shot with my 7D, 70-300 L IS USM, all at iso400.

1/1000, f8, 252mm
    Cormorant across the main lake, quite large crop.

Cormorant on final by mikep_eos, on Flickr

This Tufted Duck twisted and turned all over the place, but I managed to track him (good panning practice!!!)
    1/1250, f8, 244mm

Tufted turn and bank by mikep_eos, on Flickr

...and I always keep my eye open for the unusual or comical... and found it watching this Mute Swan try to take off from the path (and failing), and the look on the bloke's face when he came round the corner!
    1/640, f8, 70mm

Surprise! by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Out of interest - does anyone else set themselves mini-challenges when out, or is it just me?

C&C welcome.

Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: BIF practice at Barnes

Great set Mike. I like 1 best, but all are great.

I for one definitely set my self challenges. I have learnt a lot through this. For instance, I was at a fair yesterday, and one of my challenges was also to pan shots of my kids on the rides! My biggest challenge though is to take decent handheld photos with my longer lenses! Always learning,

Thanks for posting,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Not too sure about the first and third but the tufted duck is spot on

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

The Tufted Duck looks as if he is just learning to Fly and landing without Flaps Down.

Regards Paul

Comment

Thanks Garry, Stan and Paul.

@Garry - my little challenges help me learn, even it's only what didn't work!
          @Stan - #2 is my best of them. #1 was a long distance tracking shot, so more of an exercise, and #3 was for the comedy value!
          @Paul - looking through the series of shots on Tufty, although his body was all over the place, his head stayed level. Clever birdy!

Mike
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

These shots are darned difficult to pull off, but you have managed it, the tufted duck is my favourite.
            And yes, I always set myself mini challenges when out (that's every day with the dogs) admittedly not always sensible challenges , but it does stop me getting shuttered out.
            Last edited by Les McLean; 21-04-2013, 18:58.
            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Love these Mike.
              Great fun practicing and learning the 7D. The controls will be second nature in no time.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Nicely done Mike and the Tufted is the star of the bunch. I also set myself challenges, without them, I would be churning out the same old Tat all the time.
                Colin

Comment

Mike on the series, the 3rd is tops of the set for me.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Les, Stephen, Colin and Tom for your comments.

It's good to hear other challenge themselves too, and that I'm not (too) mad. Each time out I'm getting more used to the 7D, and changing settings on the fly without looking. Sometimes I even get the right settings, which is a bonus!

Cheers, Mike.
                    flickr

Comment

The tufted duck is the best of the bunch. Well done.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Nat - I agree!
                        flickr

Comment

Not easy Mike and you have done well.
                          Good idea of setting challenges, something I will try.

Alan
                          Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Thanks alan - appreciate your comments.

Mike
                            flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X