Goosander - Male

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goosander - Male

I have never seen one of these before in Scotland. It caught my eye as it swam down the river next to where I was walking yesterday morning. I just thought it was a duck until I reviewed my pictures today.

Quite rare for inner city Glasgow I'd say lol

Goosander - male by Campsie Photography, on Flickr
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Goosander - Male

Very nice detail on the duck. Well done Paul

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. I'll hold my hand up and say I had to save this image with a lot of dodge and burning to find the natural contrasting lines in the feathers. I've spent about an hour on it. I wanted to highlight it for better Identification however a better search on the RSPB site gave me the answer, but I had already done the work lol
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

That was some very good work Paul. You have seemed to bring out the best in this image.

Tom

Comment

A difficult subject Paul with the big contrast between the dark and light feathers so something has got to give - you have got some good detail in the dark feathers and a good eye but at the expense of the whites which are blown. There is no detail to be had there but i think it would look better toned down by running the burn tool over a few times at around 6% exposure and range highlights

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            A difficult subject Paul with the big contrast between the dark and light feathers so something has got to give - you have got some good detail in the dark feathers and a good eye but at the expense of the whites which are blown. There is no detail to be had there but i think it would look better toned down by running the burn tool over a few times at around 6% exposure and range highlights

Stan
            Cheers Stan. Yes the body of the bird is long gone. There is no data there to be had. To be fair it was a difficult shot to get. He kept going quickly through my treeline view following the flow of the river.

I'll get him again now I know where he lives and hunts :)
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Not had chance to photograph one in some time but the problem with contrast between different parts of the plumage has always been a problem.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Not the easiest of birds to capture so well done. You've managed to get a nice catchlight in his eye also.
                They are quite common here on the River Don in Aberdeen.
                Folk up here tend to also call them (wrongly) Red Breasted Mergansers but they are a different duck all together.
                I was lucky to get a couple of shots of actual RBM on our stretch of the river this afternoon. This is a first for me so well chuffed.

Here are a couple of my Goosander shots to show you the difference between Male & female.

Female Goosander (600D + Sigma 150-500)

Goosander Female 2 by mike.stephen99, on Flickr

Male Goosander (7D + Sigma 150-500)

Goosander (Male) by mike.stephen99, on Flickr
                www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

BTW, just noticed that we've been Flickr contacts for 8 months!!
                  Pleased to meet you Paul

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post
                    BTW, just noticed that we've been Flickr contacts for 8 months!!
                    Pleased to meet you Paul

Mike
                    You too Mike lol I knew I recognised those pics. You done well with them. That Sigma Lens is becoming popular on Flickr for this type of thing.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Its a great lens for the money Paul
                      Its a heavy beast after a while but the OS makes it ideal for hand held shots

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X