Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terns in freefall

Hi All

Some shots of the terns@Titchfield Haven - see my other threads - these are taken when the tern is dropping onto a fish - still not managed to get one with a fish in its beak.

Unfortunately got to the beach too late and the sun was too high - the dark band is the Isle of Wight out of focus.

Re AF - I took 479 shots and had to reject 15 as they were not as sharp as the rest. Main issue was getting tired arms towards the end of 3 hours at the beach.

1DX + 600mm f4 MKII handheld - left 1.4x at home and will take next time to avoid cropping

John

Terns@Titchfield Haven 4- by mistral105, on Flickr

Terns@Titchfield Haven 4-8767 by mistral105, on Flickr

Terns@Titchfield Haven 4-8626 by mistral105, on Flickr

Terns@Titchfield Haven 4-8587 by mistral105, on Flickr
    Last edited by mistral105; 17-05-2013, 19:18.

Re: Terns in freefall

Those are really nice.

Tom

Comment

Many thanks Tom - John

Comment

Very nice,i think you need to invest in a Gimbal Head ,
        www.flickr.com/photos/kingfisherblue www.johncaswellwildlifephotography.com

Canon 5Dmk4 ,Canon 7D mk11,Canon 7D,Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L is 11 USM . Canon100mm f2.8 Macro ,Canon 24-105 F4, 1.4 x111 ext

Comment

Many thanks Kingfisher1 - do you use one? If so what do you recommend? Thanks again John

Comment

Superb images John
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

John,i spent out on Glass,so had to settle for a cheap gimbal head[india],it was only £125,it does the job ,but is heavy,The faces swivle on PTFE faces ,whereas the better ones swivle ect on roller bearings,
              john
              www.flickr.com/photos/kingfisherblue www.johncaswellwildlifephotography.com

Canon 5Dmk4 ,Canon 7D mk11,Canon 7D,Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L is 11 USM . Canon100mm f2.8 Macro ,Canon 24-105 F4, 1.4 x111 ext

Comment

Many thanks Stephen - I had an idea of what shots I wanted and kept trying until I managed some - now want a sequence of hitting the water and coming back up with a fish - John

Comment

Many thanks John for the info on the gimbal head - I must do some research. What lens/es are you using for the kingfisher shots? Regards John

Comment

Working...
                  X