My "House" Mate "Martin"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "House" Mate "Martin"

Following on fromtaking the dragonfly image HERE I sat on the patio with the 70-200 and 1.4 extender fitted to try and capture the House Martins going about their business. I didn't find it easy to get them in to the viewfinder, never mind anywhere near in focus; this BIF genre is certainly not easy .

Anyway here is one from yesterday evening, this quite a large crop with a little levels adjustment and sharpening.

I would welcome your C&C on this and any suggestions on the technique to use for this type of bird.

_V1A1965-WebEdit-800.jpg

Exif
    Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III,
    Focal Length: 280mm, Aperture: f/5.6, Exposure Time: 0.0006 s (1/1600), ISO equiv: 400
    Exposure Bias: none, Metering Mode: Center Weight, Exposure: Manual
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: My "House" Mate "Martin"

Hi Peter as you say BIF not easy especially house martins you have done particular well in obtaining this shot,maybe upper wing span could have shown little bit of detail in sharpening procedure.Always feel with BIF there are usually two options a grab shot, which you have to take what you get and work on it afterwards.Other is picking up a bird and panning/locking onto to it this after lots of attempts usually gets you there in the end.But all the same excellent shot of a difficult bird to obtain well done.
    George.
    CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

It is a bit soft Peter but full marks for even getting it in the frame - like swallows they have a very unpredictable flight path

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
        It is a bit soft Peter but full marks for even getting it in the frame - like swallows they have a very unpredictable flight path

Stan
        Thanks for commenting Stan, much appreciated.
        As I hadn't formatted the CF card I have looked back at this image and in the camera menu switched on the show AF points.
        It showed two adjacent squares as the AF points, both of which were actually slightly in front of the bird. I think this is why the image is a little soft but...I think it's more down to my poor technique rather than a problem with the camera. My suspicion is that I saw the bird in the viewfinder the camera obtained focus and I panned left i.e. in the direction of flight but just too much.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by mackem george View Post
          Hi Peter as you say BIF not easy especially house martins you have done particular well in obtaining this shot,maybe upper wing span could have shown little bit of detail in sharpening procedure.Always feel with BIF there are usually two options a grab shot, which you have to take what you get and work on it afterwards.Other is picking up a bird and panning/locking onto to it this after lots of attempts usually gets you there in the end.But all the same excellent shot of a difficult bird to obtain well done.
          George.
          Thanks for commenting George; I do need to practice more. These birds are so unpredictable in when and where they choose to fly. I will expect them in one direction they come in another which doesn’t give me time to adjust. Still it keeps nobody said it would be easy.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

I think George & Stan said it all. So a on the effort.

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X