Australasian Darter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australasian Darter

Inspired by Martin's use of the 1.4xiii to get some (1200??) magnificently sharp pics of a kingfisher, I embarked upon a 1.4xiii experiment this weekend for myself.

This uncommon Australasian Darter with its snake-like neck, often mistaken for a cormorant, crossed my path and I'm quite happy with the result. The jury is still out on the 2xiii.

Hope you like it too

Andy

5D3 x 560mm @ 1/200 w/flash & gimbal.

[

Last edited by AndyMackie; 14-12-2013, 14:08.

Re: Australasian Darter

Has worked well Andy, a great looking bird, although from the title i was expecting to see a dragonfly

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Like the composition of the 1st image Andy.

Tom

Comment

A bit bigger than a dragonfly, Stan but yes, I can see how you would have thought that. Anyway, thanks for your comment and I agree, the 1.4x will definitely now feature in more of my shots with this lens.

Thanks too for your comments as always, Tom. It was as a result of Brian's comments regarding the composition of the earlier posting of a blue-faced honeyeater. The learning curve at work

Andy

Comment

That's a cracking shot Andy

Chris
          EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Nothing wrong with the sharpness great shots

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul
              You've sealed my resolve to use the 1.4x more often than not
              And thank you Chris for your comment too
              Andy

Comment

Cracking shots Andy, very sharp and an excellent background.

I always use a 1.4 converter when photographing birds. It provides a greater working distance and also throws the background well o-o-f. Canon's 1.4 converters work very well on their telephoto lenses. I'm not surprised that you haven't decided yet on the 2xIII. I sold my 2xI and don't plan to replace it and don't miss it. With your 5D3 you can afford to crop a bit more if necessary without compromising quality.

Out of interest which 400mm lens do you use?

Regards,

Brian
                http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Thanks very much for your kind comments, Brian.

I came to the same conclusion (crop rather than convert - you have to be a little jealous of the D800 owners there ) after soft result with the converters (both 1.4iii and 2iii) during my initial play with the seemingly extravagant but rather lovely 400f2.8LiiIS "investment" lens but I'm certainly re-sold on the 1.4iii after this exercise.

Why investment lens? Don't get me started on the transfer of the real value of money to the all-too powerful manipulators of this world..

Anyway, although I haven't yet gone back to the 2xiii yet I will give it a good chance before considering selling it - I was very impressed with it on the 70-200 f2.8ii, for example, so at the moment I'm inclined to blame the operator more than the tool. Hopefully, I'll soon be able to post some acceptable 400 x2iii shots and will certainly give it another go.

Andy

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X