X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turnstone

Superb shot Stan.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      Thanks Riggers and Wayne

the dof with a long lens is quite narrow therefor it is better to shoot at a smaller aperture to ensure front to back sharpness, most lens also perform better closed down a little which is why i prefer to shoot at f 7.1 or f8 if the light is good enough. Come the winter though and low light Then I will open the aperture to keep the shutter speed up without going to too high an ISO. With the 300f4 and converter that means f 5.6 or if i am using the converter with my 70-200 f2.8, then f4. Unless i have no other choice, if i were using just the 70-200 i would try and avoid f 2.8 if i could as the dof would be much too narrow

Stan
      Your mention of f7.1 brings something to mind. Might just be my use of film cameras but always seem to choose whole stops i.e. f8, f11, etc.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Your mention of f7.1 brings something to mind. Might just be my use of film cameras but always seem to choose whole stops i.e. f8, f11, etc.
        I dont think there are any issues with in between stops as far as apertures are concerned as everythin happens within the lens itself but with ISO someone did some testing a while ago and found the inbetween ISO's were more noisy then full stops so with that I stick to full stops

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

nice shot stan,though i think its slightly blown on the whites ,and could have been pulled back in p/p .interesting thread though as it goes with my findings with canon you definitely need to set your exp comp to + 1/3 to get it near "right" yet with the older nikons i used it was always -1/3 .
          and just reading the through the digital field guide i got free with my 7d at the back of the book it advocates exposing well into the right + side as thats recoverable in p/p whereas recovering the blacks just leads to noise . got to agree and there is a noticeable difference so far in the RAW files from canon to nikons its taking some getting used to .

Comment

Thanks again for the advice. I had no idea about the in between stops for ISO, which is interesting as I often find myself using 1250 when 800 is not enough.
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              I dont think there are any issues with in between stops as far as apertures are concerned as everythin happens within the lens itself but with ISO someone did some testing a while ago and found the inbetween ISO's were more noisy then full stops so with that I stick to full stops

Stan
              As you say no issues with in between stops its just my familiarity with full stops. Just can't get out of the habit! Must admit old habits die hard and still select iso of 100, 200, 400, etc.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

nice shot stan,though i think its slightly blown on the whites ,and could have been pulled back in p/p
                if you look at the histogram the exposure is almost spot on and no blown highlights, there are however some areas of white that have little detail, so that may be what makes you think they are blown

As you say no issues with in between stops its just my familiarity with full stops. Just can't get out of the habit! Must admit old habits die hard and still select iso of 100, 200, 400, etc.
                As I said i too like to stick with the full stops, although out today i shot a couple at ISO 1000 (slapped wrists )

Stan

flickr

Comment

Interesting thread, and a very good shot Stan.

I think the whites are OK, and not blown. White feathers in sunlight sometimes appear blown, but they just aren't showing too much definition... it's probably what your eye saw on the day anyway!

Very nice, well done.

Mike.
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

White feathers in sunlight sometimes appear blown, but they just aren't showing too much definition...
                    thats right Mike - some of the feathers of the egret look the same but are not blown

Stan

flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X