Mandarin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mandarin

Seems nicely exposed to me Hugh, I just mentioned the shutterspeed for accuracy, to help those who aren't using the exif readers.

Millie

Comment

Millie,
      Any suggestion for an Exif Reader to use, please - Windows XP at pres.

Hughbie

Comment

Originally posted by hughbie View Post
        Any suggestion for an Exif Reader to use, please - Windows XP at pres.
        Opanda iEXIF is typically the software of choice... Start here...
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
          Opanda iEXIF is typically the software of choice... Start here...
          C-F.... I haven't been able to get Opanda iEXIF to work with Mozilla Firefox, IE is fine.
          When I try to download to Firefox I get an error message saying Mozilla will not download OPANDA
          Any clues????
          David
          David

Comment

Hi David;

No - not really!

But I see that Firefox requires a seperate download and an extention as well...

Click here...

Are you trying to re-download the IE version of iEXIF?
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Hi David, just to say it works on firefox. As far as I remember there's a FF version on the opanda webiste.
              Millie

Comment

C-F,
                thanks for that. Clever, innit.

Comment

C-F & Millie,
                  Uninstalled Opanda, uninstalled the Mozilla FF "add-on", reinstalled Opanda, reinstalled the Mozilla FF "add-on".... still no luck in getting Opanda to work with Mozilla FF. It is fine with IE.
                  Wonder if it is because I am using W7 ??? On the Opanda site for the Opanda Mozilla FF "add-on" it states that it is for Win98 / Me / 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista
                  Oh well guess I gotta use IE if I want to use Opanda.
                  Thanks
                  David
                  David

Comment

Excellent photograph, Hughbie. You're reminding me why I first became interested in photography as a boy: I wanted to be able to photograph birds. Unfortunately, I didn't have very good equipment, especially a powerful lens as you've used here. Now that I have a decent camera and a decent income, maybe I should rethink this boyhood notion and get myself a powerful lens to try out.

Incidentally, unrelated to photography, I'd like to comment that these birds are fantastic looking. They're somewhat similar to the Wood Duck in the U.S. I have an old guide book to birds in Louisiana which explains the scientific names of the birds listed. I know the Mandarin is different, but still, it's interesting what it was says about the Wood Duck. The Wood Duck's scientific name is 'Aix Sponsa'. My guide says that 'Aix' is basically 'water fowl' in ancient Greek and 'Sponsa' is Latin for either 'betroved' or 'in wedding dress'. So, 'water fowl in wedding dress'. Looking at your photograph of a Mandarin, I can see why they would give such a name to birds that look this. Oh, and the scientific name for the Mandarin duck is 'Aix Galericulata'. 'Galericulata' is Latin for 'wearing a helmut', or 'helmuted'. So, 'Helmuted Duck'. This is probably more fitting to the elegant ceremonial dress we see Chinese soldiers wearing in historical films. I also saw somewhere that the Chinese symbol for the Mandarin duck is the same symbol for 'conjugal fidelity'. Another marital reference, but for this particular bird.
                    Last edited by russelljtdyer; 06-04-2010, 01:46.

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                      C-F & Millie,
                      Uninstalled Opanda, uninstalled the Mozilla FF "add-on", reinstalled Opanda, reinstalled the Mozilla FF "add-on".... still no luck in getting Opanda to work with Mozilla FF. It is fine with IE.
                      Wonder if it is because I am using W7 ??? On the Opanda site for the Opanda Mozilla FF "add-on" it states that it is for Win98 / Me / 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista
                      Oh well guess I gotta use IE if I want to use Opanda.
                      Thanks
                      David
                      Hi David;

W7 is probably the 'culprit' then. No doubt Opanda will catch-up eventually... That's always the problem when migrating to a new OpSys; there's always laggards who aren't current!

Comment

Originally posted by russelljtdyer View Post
                        Incidentally, unrelated to photography, I'd like to comment that these birds are fantastic looking. They're somewhat similar to the Wood Duck in the U.S. I have an old guide book to birds in Louisiana which explains the scientific names of the birds listed. I know the Mandarin is different, but still, it's interesting what it was says about the Wood Duck. The Wood Duck's scientific name is 'Aix Sponsa'. My guide says that 'Aix' is basically 'water fowl' in ancient Greek and 'Sponsa' is Latin for either 'betroved' or 'in wedding dress'. So, 'water fowl in wedding dress'. Looking at your photograph of a Mandarin, I can see why they would give such a name to birds that look this. Oh, and the scientific name for the Mandarin duck is 'Aix Galericulata'. 'Galericulata' is Latin for 'wearing a helmut', or 'helmuted'. So, 'Helmuted Duck'. This is probably more fitting to the elegant ceremonial dress we see Chinese soldiers wearing in historical films. I also saw somewhere that the Chinese symbol for the Mandarin duck is the same symbol for 'conjugal fidelity'. Another marital reference, but for this particular bird.
                        Hi Russell;

Very interesting commentary... and you've got us back on track for the thread! Thank you...

Comment

One of the joys of having a camera that delivers images with less noise at high ISOs is that you can get the shutterspeeds required for sharp images with long lenses on days were the light is poor.

That’s the main reason why I mentioned the shutter speed stated was inaccurate.
                          I didn’t really mean to start a conversation about exif readers.

Millie

Comment

Sorry for the highjacking.... (raises both arms in a state of surrender)

Hughbie,
                            As others have said ... a great photograph and it is this sort of quality which has got me back into photography.
                            I have the gear just gotta deliver the goods...
                            David
                            David

Comment

Thanks all for encouraging comments. Pity I have to give the lens and extender back on Friday!

hughbie

Comment

Working...
                              X