A flock of seagulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A flock of seagulls

A selection of seagulls from last weekend at Slimbridge and this evening at my local park. All taken with my 7D and 400L combo. The first one is a bit of a departure for me as it's in manual mode with me in control of the ISO rating where the others are all manual but with the camera controlling the ISO. As an aside, I think I'm seeing better results if I control all aspects of the shot rather than letting the camera control one of them, the ISO. Perhaps because I look at the exposure as well as the shot and so am thinking about it more. This may be obvious to some of us but give me time...

This first one was practicing taking off and landing so I decided to practice shooting it while it took of and landed

IMG_5183 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

IMG_5462 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

IMG_5452 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

I quite like gulls because there are loads of them and you can get a lot of BIF practice in a short space of time...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: A flock of seagulls

Good set Andy, they can be deceptively fast and difficult to catch in flight.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Well done Andy

Tom

Comment

With the 7D you do need to keep control of the ISO otherwise you will start pulling noise into the photo

I like the set, but the first is the winner for me
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Good action and sharpness Andy but they are all spoilt a bit by the oof ducks in the background which is a bit of a shame especially with the last one
          A quick bit of cloning and it is fixed

Stan

a.jpg
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Thanks for looking everyone.

Tigger, I think you're dead on there. Getting the ISO under control first and then controlling the exposure around that seems to be producing much better results than I've seen so far. By the way, your avatar/picture looks similar to one from the AP Forums. Is that you as well?

Stan, yep, it does look a much cleaner shot with the duck removed. I just need to get comfortable with the idea of making that level of edit to a shot
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I just need to get comfortable with the idea of making that level of edit to a shot
              It really was quite easy to do although i dont think i would attempt the first one.

always clone on a seperate layer, then if you make a pigs ear of it you can just delete the layer leaving the original untoucheed and start again

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                It really was quite easy to do although i dont think i would attempt the first one.
                No, the ripples on the water would make the edit way too obvious wouldn't it.
                always clone on a seperate layer, then if you make a pigs ear of it you can just delete the layer leaving the original untoucheed and start again
                Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

Stan
                  Right on ..
                  [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Working...
                  X