Oyster Catcher again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oyster Catcher again!

The members might remember my post showing a Crow about to attack the Oyster catcher chicks. Well I went again to check how the chicks were getting on and saw these taking place!

(i) Curlew(amended) Tea party in full swing (I have not cropped the pic too much as the IQ would degrade)

Conwy RSPB 17th July 2014 073 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr
    (ii) Oyster Catcher chicks
    (a)

Conwy RSPB 17th July 2014 095 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr
    (b)

Conwy RSPB 17th July 2014 093 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 20-07-2014, 22:15.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Oyster Catcher again!

They are not showing Nat but clicking to look on flickr, the first are not oystercatchers but curlews and really they are too small and dark to show any detail

The other two are oystercatchers but with both the composition is a bit odd and there is no real eye contact

Sorry

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks San for taking a look. Yes, it is my mistake re the Curlews/Oyster Catchers. The two others are perhaps due to my cropping to get rid of other unwanted birds usually Canada geese.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Well done Nat.

Bill.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Yes, it is my mistake re the Curlews/Oyster Catchers
          I think you need to go to Specsavers Nat - oystercatchers and curlews are a world apart

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Thanks Bill. It was the long beak,Stan, that made me make such as an ASS of myself. Specsavers are no good.Present glasses dispensed by them. Must get my glasses changed by Boots.

Comment

Nat

Tom

Comment

I hope you can now see the pics. Thanks David (Naphill)for your advice "how to post from flickr"
                Last edited by Nathaniel; 20-07-2014, 22:20.

Comment

thanks Tom.

Comment

Hmmm I have a slight advantage here as I know where nat has taken these pics from ,and while they are good record shots that's all they can ever be in the summer as most of the hides at this reserve are renowned for facing into the sun light all day ,and as well as that most targets are at to great a distance .
                    My advice to nat would be to try out gronant or talacre beach at high tide as the sea will push the birds in and you will be shooting with the sun behind you .
                    If you do still prefer to be at Conway reserve nat then the benarth hide,is the best for light photography wise

So good shots nat under the conditions,and well done .
                    Last edited by the black fox; 21-07-2014, 06:39.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. You are quite right that the hides are all facing the sunlight!. Hence I have been going to Conwy at different times of the day but then sometimes there are no worthwhile birds to photograph. Will try the other two places mentioned when I get back.

Comment

I would'nt mind a trip down to Gronant or Talacre myself, (I haven't been before). Just wondering if it would be possible to meet up with you two, Nat and Jeff. Maybe we can sort something out in the future. Its on the doorstep for both of you, but a drive for me from Blackburn , Lancs.
                        [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Nice light and colour Nat on the Catchers but as Stan said, need their Heads up.

Regards Paul

Comment

Thanks Wayne and Paul. Yes, I was patiently waiting(not long enough,I am sure) for the Oyster Catchers to put their faces up but they did not oblige and were fast moving into some bushes. So I thought, it was now or never!!!! Wayne, a good idea. We will arrange something with Jeff, perhaps sometime next month. I am sure Jeff would know the best time to visit. I realise it is a long trip for you Wayne but I am sure going out with Jeff would be a good experience- I can vouch for that.

Comment

No problem Wayne I,m free every day ,off down south for a week or so shortly ,but things should be starting to happen migration wise by the time I return ,the Wirral is probably a better option than the other two places as quiet a lot of different places that can be visited in one day with a good. Variety of birds ,I do know that nat is not as mobile as I am ,so travelling round is better for him .
                              The tides play a large part in wildlife movements this way so I will plan any trips based on high tides .

The mega tides at parkgate are a spectacle worth getting up early for and so far this years have been stunning I will check on the autumn ones later and refresh this post

I'LL NOW TRANSFER THIS TO A NEW BIT ON EOS MAGAZINE LOCAL GROUPS ,TO BE FAIR TO NATS THREAD AND IN CASE ANYONE ONE ELSE LOCAL WANTS TO JOIN IN OR OFFER OPIONS .
                              Last edited by the black fox; 21-07-2014, 12:26.

Comment

Working...
                              X