Stan's twig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stan's twig

A little while ago, I posted some bird shots, captured on the feeder in the garden, and Stan commented that they would look more appealing if captured on a natural looking perch.

He suggested setting up a a twig or branch, near the feeder, that the birds could use a a 'stopping off' point.

I said that although not being competition minded, and looking to please judges, I would experiment, and experiment I did.

I cut a small branch/twig from one of the trees in the garden, and secured it to the pole of the wrought iron feeder stand, with cable ties.

For a week, the birds ignored it, and were even much less frequent visitors to the feeders. I guess they don't like change.

Over this past couple of days, they have returned in their usual numbers, with some of them perching on the branch to await their turn on the feeders.

So, late this afternoon, I grabbed a couple of shots.

Its all 'artistic licence' really, as I just ensured that the feeders were excluded from the frame. So, its all just a cheat really, as the feeders are just to the left hand end of the branch.

So, thanks for the idea Stan, its does work.

Oh yes, nearly forgot. Captured with the 5D3 + 400mm L prime + 1.4x TC (FL = 560mm). Image cropped from the original.

Dave

Great Tit by Dave_S2, on Flickr
    Great Tit by Dave_S2, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dave_S; 28-08-2014, 17:42.
    Dave

Re: Stan's twig

Well caught Dave 👍 The background is bright in these two but not suture what you could do to avoid it
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

, Raj
      Raj
      Flickr

Comment

Nice captures Dave.

Bill.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
          Well caught Dave �� The background is bright in these two but not suture what you could do to avoid it
          Not a lot really Peter. The light areas are looking straight through gaps in the hedgerow, into the open farm fields beyond. Basically, daylight beyond.

The feeders hang a bit lower down, so the feeder images are against the thicker part of the hedgerow. The gaps are higher up, and out of shot.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

I thought the white was some type of flower/shrub Dave. BTW I meant sure not "suture" 😉
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Well done Dave

Tom

Comment

Ok the background is not quite ideal but these are so much better and more natural looking

I said that although not being competition minded, and looking to please judges
                it really has nothing to do with competitions as birds on twig shots do nothing for judges. I have loads and loads of these sorts of shots and the only time i would consider using one in a competition is if the bird was actually doing something rather than just sitting on a twig. For example one of my shots from yesterdays competition was was the one of the juvenile stonechat shouting while sitting near to dad who had an insect in his mouth and that got a 20.

For me it is more about getting shots which look natural and composing to ensure the subject is centre stage without anything in the frame which distracts the viewer.

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Dave the concept is good and as you can see really does work ,you now need to get out in the woods and find some thinner twigs with a nice mossy coating on them ,seek and ye shall find

Comment

Yes I have to agree, they do look a lot more natural now Dave, just perched on a twig or branch.
                    [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      Dave the concept is good and as you can see really does work ,you now need to get out in the woods and find some thinner twigs with a nice mossy coating on them ,seek and ye shall find
                      Yep, I guess I ought to make the effort Jeff.

Living in a village with adjoining woodland, the opportunity is there.

However, sitting in the dining room, with the French Doors open, curtains drawn, lens poking out through the curtains, and a cup of tea in my hand, is relaxed photography.

BTW, I have named the two birds. "Mr Smart" and "Mr Scruffy".

Dave
                      Last edited by Dave_S; 29-08-2014, 10:29.
                      Dave

Comment

Much better and more "natural" setting. I like #1 better.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          I like #1 better.
                          That would be "Mr Scruffy" then Nat.

Dave
                          Dave

Comment

why draw the curtains ,its not needed birds have a circle of trust dave .quick movements will scare them more than anything so if your on a tripod ready for them its just a case of being ready and not moving to fast ,they also seem to love the sound of canon shutters and its amusing to watch there heads turn and listen in bewilderment at the noises ,which if you do it right gives that nice catchlight in the eyes .as nat will also testify at the feeder station at conway rspb there are no benches or screens you just stand on the path about 15 feet away from the feeder and the birds take no notice of you as you fire away .

Comment

That's interesting Jeff, something I hadn't considered.

Almost makes Hides redundant I guess.

I can see where you are coming from, as some years ago, we had a resident Song Thrush, who would sit on the roof singing. My would go out and throw bits of bread on the ground, and he would fly down and feed. He got so tame, that my wife would go outside and call him (we named him Fred ), and down he would come.

One day when in the kitchen, she heard him singing, and thought "he sounds close by", turned around and there he was on the kitchen floor, having come in the patio doors, walked through the dining room, and into the kitchen.

We had him for three years, but then he disappeared, never to be seen again.

We also had a Blackbird, that I would throw tit-bits to, gradually getting him to come closer, until eventually, I would put a piece of bread on my knee, and he would land there, and eat it while sitting on my knee. Magic!!.

So, as you say, "a circle of trust".

Dave
                              Last edited by Dave_S; 29-08-2014, 11:59. Reason: typo
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X