Jeff's twig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff's twig

Following the successful use of Stan's suggestion, of placing a twig/branch near the bird feeders in the garden, to produce more natural looking shots, the suggestion was enhanced by Jeff, who suggested using a moss/lichen covered twig/branch.

So, here's one using a moss/lichen covered branch, that I cut from one of the Lilac trees in the garden.

Sorry that its another Great Tit, but he was only one willing to perch on the new branch.

To improve the background, over the one in my 'thread' "Stan's twig", I attached the branch lower down the feeder stand, and set the tripod higher, to avoid the bright patches of daylight showing through the hedge.

Such a simple idea, to use artificially placed 'props', to give a more natural look to my garden bird shots, so thanks to Stan and Jeff for their advice.

It just goes to show that you can "teach and old dog, new tricks"

Dave
    Great Tit_29 8 14 by Dave_S2, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dave_S; 29-08-2014, 16:11.
    Dave

Re: Jeff's twig

and the next lesson goes ,check your histogram to stop blowing out the whites rofpmsl

Comment

An excellent idea of Jeff's with the twig and the moss etc. Can't see that it is a "stage prop"!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Indeed Jeff, as an experienced astro-imager, who works with the histogram all the time, to ensure that the Black Point is not 'clipped', and the white end is not at saturation point, with pixels 'flooding over' into adjacent pixels, I should know better.

Underexposed detail is recoverable, whereas over exposed detail, is gone forever.

I must learn not to trust the evaluative metering on the 5D3, when there is a large dynamic range.

BTW, to show that "slight of hand, deceives the eye", or something like that , here's the whole picture.

Can we ever believe that some of the bird shots we see posted of Flick and forums,, aren't 'setup', like this one was.

Dave
        Attached Files
        Dave

Comment

Here's the Histogram, and it has exceeded the White Point, as the bird image displays.

Note to self: remember to check the Histogram in-camera, and apply exp comp as necessary.

Here enddeth the lesson.

Dave
          Attached Files
          Dave

Comment

indeed where its possible i would imagine that well in excess of 50% are if you like managed shots ,or set up whether it be a few twigs or rocks as props ,a bit of seed or peanuts spread to entice the birds in ,or as i do quite often get to know where the birds will be at a given state of the tide and tuck myself in ready a hour or so before .sometimes on walkabout you do fall lucky though and that accounts for the other 50% but you do need quick reactions and a lot of awareness factor ,as my hearing is negligible i seem to have a heightened sense of movement perception yet jan can hear a bird from hundreds of yards away it works well as a team effort i.e we will often see and hear a bird separately at the same time using different methods weird but true .

coming back to daves hi-jacked thread there are various tutorials online about setting up stage managed scenarios and its easy to do and during the winter months my car boot will often be half full of props .and in all honesty the one prop i use most of all is my mobile diesel engined hide
            Last edited by the black fox; 29-08-2014, 19:07.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
              indeed where its possible i would imagine that well in excess of 50% are if you like managed shots ,or set up
              That's my belief shattered Jeff, now I'll never be able to look at peoples bird/wildlife shots in the same admiring way again.

Its all good fun though.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

You have captured a nice pose Dave.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks Bill.

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post

Can we ever believe that some of the bird shots we see posted of Flick and forums,, aren't 'setup', like this one was.

Dave
                    That would be most definitely a NO.
                    [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

the one prop i use most of all is my mobile diesel engined hide
                      LOL, Jeff .... a bit of comfort as well ..
                      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by wayne2418 View Post
                        That would be most definitely a NO.
                        Can I safely assume that you are completely convinced about that then Wayne.

BTW, as an aside, going back to the Histogram thing, I looked at the image histogram in-camera, and the 'blown out' white areas are not at all distinct on the camera histogram, but as you can see from my post above, they are when viewed in Photoshop's histogram window.

So, had I checked the shot at the time of taking it, I wouldn't have seen that the whites were blown out.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

surely theres a flashing highlight alert you can switch on and off on the 5d3 .which gives a double check .whatever you do your never going to get perfection anyway .thats why i like the spray and pray of the 1D series one of a burst will come out just right

Comment

surely theres a flashing highlight alert you can switch on and off on the 5d3 .which gives a double check
                            There could well be Jeff, but means that I will have to read the manual.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                              There could well be Jeff, but means that I will have to read the manual.
                              If it works like the one on the 7D then it's a little bit of a mixed blessing. The problem on the 7D is that the display is driven by the small jpeg embedded in the RAW file and it's a bit oversensitive to blowing the highlights. So you can see blinkies on the camera when the re-processed raw file is actually fine. So I tend to look on a little bit of blinkie on the display being OK but a large area of it is suggestive of having actually blown the highlights.

Of course I could always learn to read the histogram but I suspect it suffers from the same possible flaw...
                              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
                              X