• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coot Race

[1]

[2]
    With kind regards,
    Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Re: Coot Race

A little blurry but nicely caught

Tom

Comment

we've all got them but sorry this fails as its too soft - Funny how birds seem to do this to us
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        we've all got them but sorry this fails as its too soft - Funny how birds seem to do this to us
        Next time, I will bring my shotgun and shoot them first and then I'll make the photo ....
        With kind regards,
        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

Comment

Apart from the lack of sharpness the birds have come out with no detail, which is often a problem with very dark birds shot against a very bright background. With the majority of the drame very bright, the camera has underexposed the shot to get the bright areas correct but in so doing the birds are too dark. You probably needed around +2/3 exposure compensation to get a more balences]d exposure

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

A very challenging shot with some pretty good results - into the sun and panning with a slow shutter speed is difficult to pull off and normally done if some sort of intended artistic effect (backlit, silhouette etc)
            With the compensation Stan mentions you would also have to crank the ISO up to compensate to maintain shutter speed
            Always good to take a few test shots once in position to anticipate and calibrate before action starts
            Hope it helps
            Cheers
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
              Next time, I will bring my shotgun and shoot them first and then I'll make the photo ....
              ... maybe a tad extreme

great advice from Stan & Dave - test first, then you'll know how close you are
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG001 View Post
                A very challenging shot with some pretty good results - into the sun and panning with a slow shutter speed is difficult to pull off and normally done if some sort of intended artistic effect (backlit, silhouette etc)
                With the compensation Stan mentions you would also have to crank the ISO up to compensate to maintain shutter speed
                Always good to take a few test shots once in position to anticipate and calibrate before action starts
                Hope it helps
                Cheers
                Dave
                But how do I do that. I shoot the birds, then I have to see quickley if the photo is good or not, then I have to pump the ISO up ... but then the birds are gone. ;-)

I leave the ISO always on automatic. I an going to change that. I will have a better look in the future to ISO. Thanks for the advice
                With kind regards,
                Friso

Comment

Not a "hunt" Friso but I can spot some "lust" in the hunting Coot! apart from exposure compensation as advised by Stan and Dave, you should pan the camera in the direction of the running/hunting birds. Try it next time. These are generally repeatable pictures and so nothing is lost.
                  Last edited by Nathaniel; 28-10-2014, 17:41.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Oke, thanks for the advice
                    With kind regards,
                    Friso

Comment

Hi Frisco
                      Sorry for the confusion - Nat has spotted what I meant to convey
                      Hope it helps
                      Dave

Comment

Friso, to be clearer, you should pan in the direction of and along with the running coots- don't pan in the opposite direction of the running coots.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

you should pan in the direction of and along with the running coots- don't pan in the opposite direction of the running coots.
                          ???, why would you even think about panning in the opposite direction, all you would get is a shot of where they had been

Stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Explaining to some one who might not know much about "panning"- have you not read his comments?

Comment

Working...
                            X