Blue tit (micro adjust)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue tit (micro adjust)

a couple of blue tit shots after micro adjusting my lens to the 70d ,last weekend most shots were blurry

right on cue blue by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

singing the blues by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

Re: Blue tit (micro adjust)

They look incredibly sharp Jeff, nice shots too.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

They look sharp enough

Maybe we have just been lucky but neither I or Dee have ever had the need to micro adjust any of our lenses on any camera we have had

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Great detail
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          They look sharp enough

Maybe we have just been lucky but neither I or Dee have ever had the need to micro adjust any of our lenses on any camera we have had

Stan
          on the first 70d that my lad had this lens was spot on i used it when i was deciding which camera to buy last year ,he sold that body to his girlfriend
          and went to nikon which didn't last long and upon returning to canon bought another 70D the one i now have ,the lens was definitely out on this body hence the micro adjust needed .
          its always worth running through some test shots though stan as you may think your spot on but you might need just that little nudge ,this was only plus 6 but its made a hell of a difference.

in fact heres one from last weekend and although the light was bad and the shutter speed well down .the lens was supported and should have given better results .you can actually see how soft the image is in comparison to todays shots all processed exactly the same
          punk birds by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr
          Last edited by the black fox; 14-11-2014, 22:34.

Comment

Cracking shots Jeff, sharp enough to cut yourself on.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Well done Jeff

Tom

Comment

great photos Jeff
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

On further thoughts it could be why my 300f4 with the 2x converter wasnt as sharp as i expected

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Looks like the adjustment as made a big difference. For those that can and want to what method did you use.. is there a web page?
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Love the feather detail - as Dee said,would be interested to hear what you did to make the adjustment, please?

Di

Comment

Not really thought about doing micro adjustment but these might just make me take a look.

IIRC if you check out Youtube there are a few vids and a few web pages where info is available too. In fact I believe there is a Canon page as well.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Of course if your really interested you could buy one of these

Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

ah o.k ,i have used various methods of micro adjust over the years from a long distance one as suggested by the focal length of the lens ,to the sloping mechanism as anthony has suggested (i have a cheaper version in my drawers) but for this test i used the viking method .this was suggested by my son and to be fair it actually works ,i have a 6 inch high model of a viking warrior that someone gifted me years ago ,its simply set on the front garden wall at roughly the distance you would expect to get a bird at i.e about 30-40 feet away .i set the camera up on the tripod ,with the camera set to one shot ,and wide open at f5.6 .then take a series of shots (ensuring that the focus point stays locked on the same part of the body ) gradually changing the settings starting from -15 then -10 -5 0 +5 +10+15 .,take out card view pictures on computer screen and establish which is sharpest and at what setting ....

i established my lens needed at least +5 then went through another series of shots at +4 +6 +7 +8 +9 ,then again viewed on computer screen to establish the sharpest ,in my case +6 shone out from the others .i gave it a fair run over the weekend with long range shots and medium range shots to .to ensure this was i one size fits all and it does seem to have worked well . sometimes the simplest method is the easiest to use heres a pic of eric the red at +6 to show my star model
                            IMG_5030 by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

as you can see there is a lot of fine detail on it so it was fairly easy to establish the sharpest point of focus ,unfortunately he is not for hire LOL

i actually used the little figure in the cross on his chest to get total sharpness at 100% magnification ,but as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating .

and the total cost came to £00.00
                            Last edited by the black fox; 17-11-2014, 18:14.

Comment

Nicely done

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X