Redwing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redwing

Took the new 300 2.8 out this afternoon, JUST as the sun dipped behind a cloud, the ISO had to be ramped up. Gutted.

Redwing
    by Lennoxtown Wildlife, on Flickr

Never seen a Redwing before let along get a picture. I hid behind a tree and waited for them to come up the hill on their wanderings. I must have looked like a plonker in a public park doing that lol

It's not the best pic but more of a record shot really.

ISO2500
    f/2.8
    1/2500th
    300mm
    1DIV

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Redwing

Might not be the best but at least you have the shot, if you get a cracker first time where do you go from there

Alan

Comment

The thrush family are quite hard to get a good point of view and angle from. They are mostly all ground dwellers so trying to get low is difficult. Trying to get anything other than a snapshot is hard with this type of bird. I wasn't feeling it today at all.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

It's not the best pic but more of a record shot really
        its a start and closer than we have seen them

The background is looking a bit noisy, surprising for a 1D IV

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

I was surpised at that too Stan. I haven't applied any NR to it at all right enough. Probably due to using one of the intermediate ISO levels rather than proper stops.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

a touch of layering and applying n/r to the background layer then sharpening the subject matter its what photoshop is made for paul LOL you have to be in the right frame of mind though .tbf the bird itself looks sharp enough.

having a second look to be honest i think you might have a touch of front focus issues ,the foreground looks really sharp (the dark brown bit) this would cause more noise to show in the bird and background

just had to re-add you on flickr ?
            Last edited by the black fox; 04-02-2015, 16:31.

Comment

To be honest Jeff I really couldn't be bothered today. Looking forward to a brighter day. It's not the type of lens to be doing wildlife with anyway. Far too heavy.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

A very nice image Paul

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                  Looking forward to a brighter day. It's not the type of lens to be doing wildlife with anyway. Far too heavy.
                  I find that quite surprising Paul as I have been told by many local wildlife photographers that it is one of Canons best lens for this type of photography.
                  Yes it is heavy and most seem to use it on a tripod fixed to a gimbal head.
                  I suppose there is a knack in handholding but not for great length of times.
                  You might want to invest in a monopod to help out, I sometimes use mine with my 300 f4L.

I like the pic by the way.
                  I have never been above 800 iso, so I think in the right light it would be crackin.

Alan
                  Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

I got the Calumet 7106 monopod yesterday and it's nice and beefy. Didn't take it with me but probably should have. I just can't see me bringing all my gear to work everyday lol. I got a Peli style hard case for everything.

I think the knack to hand holding it is not to be a big blouse about it lol. I'm not strong enough.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                    X