Various Birds today at Kidwelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Various Birds today at Kidwelly

All taken with a Canon EOS 7D Mk I, 1.4x plus 70-200mm f/4L mk I Spot metering shutter priority

Teal Twosome (Anas crecca) by Andy_Leslie, on Flickr

Teal (Anas crecca) ISO 100 1/100s f/5.6 @280mm (with extender)

Juvenile Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) by Andy_Leslie, on Flickr

Juvenile Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) ISO 250 1/640s ISO 250 f/5.6 @280mm (with extender)

Juvenile Male Red Breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) by Andy_Leslie, on Flickr

Juvenile Male Red Breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) ISO 400 1/640s ISO 400 f/6.3 @280mm (with extender)

Water Rail (Rallus aquaticus) by Andy_Leslie, on Flickr

Water Rail (Rallus aquaticus) ISO 1600 1/640s f/5.6 @280mm (with extender)

Redshank ((Tringa totanus) by Andy_Leslie, on Flickr

Redshank ((Tringa totanus) ISO 640 1/640s f/6.3 @280mm (with extender)

Dunlin (Calidris alpina) by Andy_Leslie, on Flickr

Dunlin (Calidris alpina) ISO 320 1/500s f/5.6 @280mm (with extender)

All taken in foul conditions at Kidwelly Quay today,
    Last edited by AndyL; 12-02-2015, 05:51.
    See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Re: Various Birds today at Kidwelly

Very nice set Andy

Tom

Comment

The shots do show just how bad the light was and I guess the shutter speed was quite slow as some are looking a bit soft but I bet it was great just to see the water rail out in the open like that

Canon 7D yada yada see FLICKR EXIF data for details
      the exif shows volumes of information but none in respect of shutter speed, aperture ISO or lens

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Look good set of images especially considering conditions.

Just wonder about common gull ident. Looks a bit chunky and white on wing tip not quite as much as I would expect. The spot on the beak also looks to be red/orange. Viewing on my mobile so might be wrong but my guess would be immature herring gull.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          The shots do show just how bad the light was and I guess the shutter speed was quite slow as some are looking a bit soft but I bet it was great just to see the water rail out in the open like that
          Yup. He / she just wanders about quite oblivious of the 'toggers looking on. Has been there for several years now, always on its own.

Originally posted by Stan View Post

the exif shows volumes of information but none in respect of shutter speed, aperture ISO or lens
          Stan
          Sorry, it looks like I ticked the wrong box on the Save Foir Web dialogue. I have added info to the original post.

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
          Look good set of images especially considering conditions.

Just wonder about common gull ident. Looks a bit chunky and white on wing tip not quite as much as I would expect. The spot on the beak also looks to be red/orange. Viewing on my mobile so might be wrong but my guess would be immature herring gull.
          Yup. Incorrect ID by me. Tired, is my only excuse. Corrected.
          Last edited by AndyL; 12-02-2015, 05:53.
          See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

Comment

No problem, like warblers gulls can be mixed up especially when immature.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Nice set. Like the variety.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

good shots

Comment

A bumper harvest for you Andy even if you were struggling with the light, nice set.

Bill.
                  7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Just wondering if you were using auto ISO. Some very low ISOs selected for moving creatures in poor light conditions, which seems unusual.
                    Like the water rail. Not seen one yet this year.
                    Trying to be constructive, not critical.

Comment

Originally posted by hughbie View Post
                      Just wondering if you were using auto ISO. Some very low ISOs selected for moving creatures in poor light conditions, which seems unusual.
                      Like the water rail. Not seen one yet this year.
                      Trying to be constructive, not critical.
                      The 7D is set up to allow a maximum of ISO 1600, which, to be fair, is pretty damn noisy. Using DPP instead of ACR gets a bit better noise processing but at the cost of an extra step in the workflow. Where possible I used walls etc (no tripod with me) to steady the camera so that I could slow the exposure and get a better ISO.

Comment

Good variety on a not very helpful day

Alan

Comment

Great selection Andy.

Alan
                          Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Working...
                          X