Gull in flight- Spinnies,Tal-y bont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gull in flight- Spinnies,Tal-y bont

Thought I'd keep up with my BIF "training" with these shots. Canon 100D +70-200mm+1.4TC

(i)
    Spinnies & Conwy RSPB 22nd April 2015 021 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr

(ii)
    Spinnies & Conwy RSPB 22nd April 2015 044 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Gull in flight- Spinnies,Tal-y bont

nat you have NOT remembered the first rule of b.i.f ,ALWAYS apply positive exposure compensation ,this will provide a good exposure to the bird and do away with the dark shadows and visible noise

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Yes, I must admit that I had forgotten the compensation factor due to lack of practice. However, I cannot see any noise as the ISO was set at 400!!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nat

Tom

Comment

Second shot the best for me Nat

Regards Paul

Comment

Thank you Tom and Paul.

Comment

Another gull in flight.

Spinnies & Conwy RSPB 22nd April 2015 037 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr

Comment

nat i could be a gentleman and say the last ones nice etc ,but in truth its bloody awful ,its soft on the bird ,and the whole photo is full of noise it looks even worse on flickr .in this sort of light even 400 iso has problems .i'm not picking as you know me to well but trying to help you .i will see if i can do anything with it
                here ya go nat .best i could do ,there is evidence of camera shake in it to when i looked closer .that new i.s lens will help you a lot
                nats 2 by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr
                Last edited by the black fox; 24-04-2015, 07:45.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Your adjustments looks nice. As you and other members know, I do not take adverse criticisms to heart,as I am still learning the art of BIF. I agree about the camera shake, as I was not ready for any picture when I saw this gull flying by and I took the shot. I did however compensate for the light so that there are no dark shadows under it's wings. My new lens with it's IS (55-250mm)will certainly not give me the reach of my present combo of 70-200+1.4TC on a crop (100D) giving me 480mm. I also don't know whether the "noise" you mention is not noise but how the area looked when I took the shot- it certainly wasn't a bright day and perhaps could have upped the ISO to 800.

Thanks again for your positive comments.

Comment

Nat you can't have "reach" without weight ,and knowing your problems with that side of things it might be a case of adjusting your type of shooting to accommodate your equipment ,so instead of reaching out to the birds. Let the birds come to you .i.e with my recent linnet and skylark shots I just literally sat in the car for a few hours and waited for them ,there are reserved with hides that get the birds in close to ,thursaston on the Wirral has one that gets you really up close to the birds inside the visitor centre .i think you need a few top up field craft lessons let me know ,your buying the dinner

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I realise that to get real good shots of birds, I need a longer lens and with it comes the "weight" problem- something with which I am always grappling with. What you say makes good sense of course. Recently on my trips to the Spinnies (Talybont) which you definitely know about, the birds were all there but so far away so much so they were little dots on my lens combo- 70-200mm +1.4TC attached to the 100D. I have also been to the Point of Ayr and it is the same problem- too far away. In fairness the Conwy RSPB is the nearest one to me where the birds are on the "close side"! Buying dinner is no problem at all.Let me know when you are free.

Comment

Working...
                      X