Chaffinch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaffinch

I'm always so impressed by what folk put on here.

My efforts at bird photography are few and with a 24-105mm lens not really going to be up to much.
    How on earth to get close enough as at full zoom at 3 or 4 feet the bird is barely going to fill 1/10th of the frame.

I house-sat for some friends who have some feeders just outside the kitchen and the birds are quite tame. While standing by the back door the chaffinches would still come to the feeder that was only about four feet away. So I set the camera on the tripod, manual focused on the feeder and set multi shot. I could then stand by the door with my finger on the button and fire off a few shots when a bird landed.

Well I got a few that looked reasonable so here is my effort, it's about 1/10th of the frame.

[IMG]Chaffinch-1234 by M Plowman, on Flickr[/IMG]

6D & 24-105 F4L at 105mm ISO400 f9.5 1/500sec.

Re: Chaffinch

Well done a great shot and very sharp

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
      Well done a great shot and very sharp

Paul
      Agree

Tom

Comment

Have to agree with Paul and Tom
        Chris

60D, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM,
        EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC

Comment

It is quite sharp and detailed eye but birds on feeders don't work for me although I appreciate what you were trying to do. If you want to seriously shoot birds then feeders are a good starting point to get the birds to come in but fix a branch or a twig close by as a stopping off point and shoot when they land on that rather than the feeder

stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I agree Stan, birds on feeders, not a great look.

Comment

Working...
            X