stonechat female

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stonechat female

another one from the mid week shoot ,BTW the weather was terrible on that day with dark black overcast and rain showers ,so i used the flash gun ,first time i have tried it on wildlife didn't bother the birds at all and worked a treat as you can see .
    edge of infinity by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Re: stonechat female

Nice shot jeff. Surprised that the bird did not fly away!!!!!!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Lovely picture! Fantastic feather detail. Did you have to dial in any exposure compensation for the flash?
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Gosh that's crisp, nice one.
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          Nice shot jeff. Surprised that the bird did not fly away!!!!!!

nope didn't bother them at all nat ,neither does shutter clatter .its only sudden movement that scares them .as on the beach just move slowly and keep low

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
            Lovely picture! Fantastic feather detail. Did you have to dial in any exposure compensation for the flash?

no took a couple of test shots and adjusted the power outlet on the flash .surprisingly virtually every shot came out fine which is why i have posted so many .tried it again in bright sunlight later in the week and it didn't work so its definitely a learning curve .
            it was a necessary evil on the stonechat day as the first shots without flash came out at between 1/80th sec and 1/160th sec i could have increased iso but thought the flash was worth a try
            Last edited by the black fox; 20-02-2016, 12:57.

Comment

Exceptional image Jeff

Tom

Comment

Great shot Jeff, did you mount the flash on the camera.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Bill53 View Post
                  Great shot Jeff, did you mount the flash on the camera.

Bill.
                  yes bill you have to the 1d series don't have pop up flash to trigger off camera flash

Comment

Cheers Jeff.

Bill.
                    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Nice one Jeff - I have a similar experience, I have used a flashgun ( with flash extender fitted) on Kingfishers in the past - they took no notice of the flash at all.
                      James
                      James Boardman Woodend
                      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Jeff,

Good shot Jeff. Nice detail. Interested in your flash set up - not considered flash with bird shots. Do you shoot in av mode with flash in auto and set ev on flash? What sort of distance away from the bird were you? Apologies for questions but wth the poor light at the moment looks like something to try.
                        Thanks
                        Guy
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/123741420@N06/

Comment

Surprised you used a flash, if I move, even behind scrim netting, they're off. I don't have a flash gun for the 1Div.
                          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by Guy24 View Post
                            Jeff,

Good shot Jeff. Nice detail. Interested in your flash set up - not considered flash with bird shots. Do you shoot in av mode with flash in auto and set ev on flash? What sort of distance away from the bird were you? Apologies for questions but wth the poor light at the moment looks like something to try.
                            Thanks
                            Guy
                            between 3 to 5 mtrs guy ,used in A/V took a few test shots and just adjusted power level on the flash ,shutter speed set in camera to 1/300th sec ,and power adjusted up or down as needed on the flash gun.the only thing to watch out for is the double catchlight in the birds eye easily sorted in p/s its not the best way to do things but its certainly helped with the present weather,flash gun yongnuo 565exii

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
                              Surprised you used a flash, if I move, even behind scrim netting, they're off. I don't have a flash gun for the 1Div.

you have to learn to smile nicely at them tigs

Comment

Working...
                              X