A little invention in a little garden brings in surprises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little invention in a little garden brings in surprises

After having feeders in my little 8 x 8m garden I knew what I could attract with a reflective pool and have had fun trying to cram that, a hide and a background not resembling brickwork into the space. Initial results were poor although given the time of year I fully expect that some of the rarer visitors had better resorts to fly around and probably still had nightmares of a neighbours cat that used to prowl the feeders before we bought a water pistol!
    But for now I was quite happy to study the lone robin and group of sparrows as I changed props, background and experimented with settings etc, as you do, until a few days ago when the skies literally filled with a flock of angry crows, diving and swooping around my garden and roof. All I could see on the roof was what I thought was another pigeon until it was forced to fly down into the scope of my lens landing on a fence - a sparrowhawk of all things, the last thing I thought I'd see. Just goes to prove I suppose that wildlife, the small and big, really is everywhere even a small inner town garden.
    Attached Files

Re: A little invention in a little garden brings in surprises

super paul ,i have fond memories of one we had in our garden a few years back munching on a mouse

Comment

Well done Paul

Tom

Comment

Very envious Paul. The sparrowhawk has been my nemesis, in fact one of quite a few.
        http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Excellent shot of the sparrow hawk. It is also posing for you!!
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Stunning Hawk portrait .

Comment

Excellent Sparrowhawk Paul
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Cheers guys for your comments hope you also enjoy the three beauties below. Took these at a local established feeding station where today everything (for a change) decided to pose just right, even two peckers appeared along with a very funny squirral.
                Attached Files

Comment

unfortunately they are not quite sharp, probably due to uploading direct from your computer (flickr is the way to go) and the compositions could to with some tweaking so that the bird is not flying out of the frame
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Have to agree with Stan looks like direct upload hasn't helped.

See the images I posted of snipe, both direct and from Flickr, in this thead: http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...llions-of-skye
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

When I finally get the laptop I want then I might start once again processing the images as you suggest, for now its a matter of camera- tablet-internet with the originals in an external hd.
                      As for compositions, I'd have to say that is very second place, whereas focusing on the eye/head while leaving motion in wings is first. It has taken awhile to get to where I am with this aim but I'm in no rush and their are plenty of wee little birds to practise with.

Comment

Working...
                      X