Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owl

Went to the HCT Members' Evening tonight and took this shot of an Owl, came home and after a quick masterclass with the "better half" have managed to process my Raw image into a jpg.

Look forward to some constructive advice on anything that I could do to improve my image.

Re: Owl

Well I'm biased and really like this shot

One thing you could do is clone out the straps.

Comment

Collette,
      Great shot with superb definition of the feathers.
      It would appear that you have been an A* student.
      Ignore the teacher's comments about the straps because what you have posted is what you saw.
      In answer to your question...nothing
      Is this Molly??

David
      David

Comment

Its a nice shot but clone out the jessies and it will be better,maybe try and darken the bright aria.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It is not Molly, it is one of two "baby" owls that are currently in training as a duo. Unfortunately I was so intent on getting a photo of them, I forgot to make a note of their names.

Will have a go at cloning out the straps and doing something with the blown sky and will repost when I have done to see what you think - may take me a while, but I will get there :tongue:

Comment

Collette - leave in the straps - it shows that it isn't a wild bird

When I went to HCT I used flash which darkened out the background nicely
            ef-r

Comment

Nicely done Collette.

I have taken nearly the duplicate of that shot, but taken from a slightly higher angle, so that the sky didn't affect the background. I processed mine slightly lighter and I did clone out the jesses.

I understand Brian's comment, but my view is that if I say that it was taken at a wildlife centre (the HCT in this instance) or I mention that jesses have been removed, then there is no intention to deceive the viewer. In my shot, I considered the jesses a distraction - I could have taken two paces to the left and the jesses would have been hidden by the post.

It is a Ural Eagle Owl.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Lovely shot of the ural owl just spoilt slightly by the blown sky. If it were mine i would have cloned the jesses as well - easy job as they are mainly on the background

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

This is my first attempt at serious photo manipulation to remove the blown out sky and also the straps on the birds leg. I am sure there is much I could do to improve my technique further but I am pleased with this first try.

Let me know what you think.

Comment

I think you have made an excellent job of it Collette. You can now concentrate on the owl without the distraction of the blown sky

Stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Hi Collette;

I think that's a brilliant job; I doubt I could have attempted that; specially with the fine detail of the bird's feathers...

One small nit-pick; the remnants of your water-mark are bang in the middle to the right of the bird's belly... I'd take that out...

Otherwise; well done... Give's Colin's image a run for it's money now!!!!!

Cheers...
                      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                        One small nit-pick; the remnants of your water-mark are bang in the middle to the right of the bird's belly... I'd take that out....
                        Well spotted Canon-Fodder. I knew it was there somewhere but could not actually see it. Now you have located it for my it is quite distracting.
                        I am going to try again and additionally lighten the image up - as it seems to have become darker than the original one.

I will just post a link to the next version on my flickr account.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and suggestions, it is really appreciated and helps so much.

Comment

Working...
                        X