• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swans

kenfig wild fowl reserve

Alun

Re: Swans

Nicely captured Alun and you have chosen a pleasing juxtaposition of both birds for each shot. I particularly like the evening light in the second shot. A couple of minor points you may wish to consider for when you next photograph Swans:

* Getting down low to their eye level generally produces a more pleasing shot, as you did in the second photo.
    * In the second photo, the meter has exposed properly for the water, resulting in slight overexposure for the swan.
    * To prevent the whites burning out, I slightly underexpose and check the histogram immediately after.
    * It is far too easy to focus on the swan and only notice after that some of the reflection is missing.
    * Think Swans, think reflection.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks colin. I went back to look at the other shots Ihad taken at the same time and find that I had missed the heads off on most of them. Except this additional one below. I was messing around and although it was a vrey bright day took the ISo up along with a dark lense filter Ihad borrowed, which resulted inthis affect on the surface water.
      Alun

Comment

That's much better Alun and the whites are all held in check as well.

The horizon isn't straight, but easily corrected. We'll have to gently ween you on to some post editing - it does add a little polish to the final picture.

Do you do any sharpening, or are these as they came out of the camera?

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Not sure about the first but like the second and third shots and echo Colin's comments.

Comment

No Colin I have not altered any of the shots in any way! Of my few posts there is only one shot of a young six year old african girl, who was in charge of her younger sister and carried her everywhere on her back, I had cropped the shot to take other peoples elbows out of frame etc. Her expression siad six going on fifty and I thought she deserved more attention, otherwise all of my shots are untouched. Thanks for the comments both!
            Alun

Comment

Working...
            X