My First BiF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First BiF

Went out to take landscapes but got lucky for my first BiF. Still a long way to go to get the quality but right chuffed to get this.

and this

and this

Re: My First BiF

The birds are quite sharp but a bit too dark. You might try to lighten the images so that more of the feather details are shown.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Not bad for your 1st BIF . Agree with Nat about bumping up the exposure a bit.

Tom

Comment

As with the other two on , with canon cameras it's really quick and easy to get right in fact .when your shooting b.i.f a simple spin of your rear main control dial will increase your exp .compensation . It takes a second to do with nice blue skies like this I would aim for around a full stop of positive comp .it stops the sky blowing out the bird as the meter is reading the sky

Comment

lucky to have golden eagles to practice on

Whenever you are shooting against the sky you are always going to need to dial in some positive exposure compensation because the camera meter will try and expose for a mid tone and the sky being very bright, even on a dull day, the camera will underexpose the scene so to compensate exposure compensation is needed. Looking at these images you are about 1 stop under exposed although at the time of shooting it may have been more as I am looking at the processed image. In post processing you can rescue these to a certain extent by lifting the shadows but you would have to be careful about introducing noise, so always best to try and get it about right n camera
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

My starting point on blue sky days is to take a meter riding of a patch of grass. Usually a good start point then as others have said some positive comp for shots against the sky.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

If l have a clear blue sky, l use the sky to meter off, works for me.

Comment

Thanks for your comments and advice, much appreciated.

Comment

Good first efforts and better than mine, have said it before on here, am full of admiration for the guys who get BIF as sharp as a tack, I struggle holding the camera still whilst it's pointing skywards.

Regards Paul

Comment

Know only too well how you feel with your first BIF, keep reading and trying, the guys here helped me loads.

Comment

Working...
                    X