Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puffins on Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffins on Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire.

Although I have lived in the area for 30 years this was my first visit to Skomer Island off the Pembrokeshire coast. Mind, you really need to be fit to climb the steps up the cliff and walk the rough, stony and gravel paths all around the island. There is no transport so get your legs fit.

There is another 'set' in the Landscape sector and on Flickr but they were taken in the wet/misty atmosphere of the day.

The Puffins are nest building at the moment so no chicks and no picture of Puffins with sand eels or fish in their mouths.

Puffin on Skomer Island
    by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr

Beeck full!

MK4_2787

Puffin with lone Bluebell.

Puffin on Skomer Island with lone Bluebell

Friends! Not sure about this one, I though I had a sufficient AV but the first Puffin is slightly out of focus. Mind they were 100mt away.

Friends! Puffins on Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire

Cheers,

StanII
    Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
    Lightroom; Photoshop

Re: Puffins on Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire.

A nice set Stan - I particularly like No. 2, the nest-builder.

I note that you were using the full reach of the 100-400 lens - can you give an estimate of how physically close one can expect to get to the puffins? (we are thinking of a visit there later in the year).
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Nice set. I've been to Skomer several times but not this year unfortunately.

John - in my experience you can get very close (within a few feet) with a little patience and hope that the other visitors are equally accommodating. I would not think it necessary for a long zoom at all.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

A very nice series Stan 2
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nice images Stan.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Very nice set

Regards Paul

Comment

Lovely set Stan and lovely setting
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

A nice set Stan.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

OMG, puffins, my favorite birds, although I've never seen them live :-)
                  Great pictures. I like the one with bluebell.

Comment

Thanks guys.

You can get very close; within 1 to 2 meters. But .... it depends where you are on the island as the Puffins nest all over it. At the 'Wick' you are close to the edge of the cliff (3 mtr) and the Puffins will cross the path in front of you. At other points you can be 20 to 100mtr or more away so it depends on what you want to photograph. All the ones with the flowers around the Puffins were at extreme length the close ups were at the Wick. Apparently there are 50,000 breeding pairs of Puffins. There are also thousands of Gulls and many other species. Look up information on https://www.welshwildlife.org/ .

StanII
                    Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
                    Lightroom; Photoshop

Comment

Hi Stan; lovely set; #3 for me... Great job...
                      Cheers;
                      Lee
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                      17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Nice set there Stan, been there a few times it has great atmosphere there, I stayed on the island last year for 2 days and loved every minute of it, I pre booked a date in first week of July and when got down there it was grey windy and all boats and day trips cancelled arrrggghhh I thought no please not but luckily the boats did take us out so just a group of 8 of us had the island to ourselves for 2 days it was a bumpy boat across but as soon as we landed out came the sun and stayed sunny and blue sky both days what a result, I really did not want to leave....ps that week was great as young were showing at burrow entrances and sand eels coming in by the dozen, they leave late july so late june early july best time...

Dean
                        Last edited by Deano69; 29-05-2017, 23:06.

Comment

Lovely set stan

Comment

Great set of images Stan.
                            Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Agreed, a really fine set Stan
                              Canon 70D; Canon 500D; Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C; Sigma 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM C; Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM; Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM; Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS; Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS; Canon Speedlite 430EXII; Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Ring Lite; Canon Powershot SX40HS

Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X