The Delete Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Delete Button

Many, many years ago, in the days of film, I was apprenticed to a professional photographer and he gave me many valuable bits of advice. One of which was the difference between an amateur and pro photographer is that the amateur will show you his full set of 36 shots printed at 6" x 4", whereas the pro will only show you his best 1 or 2 shots at 16" x 12".

So, based on that, you won't ever see my rubbish shots. If there is anything wrong, I will press the delete button and I can assure you that I press that as much as any of you.

However, even though this should be a deleted shot, because it is not sharp, I have kept it to remind me of the difficulty of the shoot and just how quick these little blighters are. As you are already aware, I spent some time photographing Kingfishers diving. To get a reasonable sized image, you can't do it without some props, to limit the area in which they will dive. I know, because I have tried for many years. This was a large bucket in width and depth stocked with minnows and the camera was pre-focussed to the centre-point of the bucket. Great if the Kingfisher played ball and dives into the centre. This rarely happened, so a generous depth of field was required. They are also blindingly fast so a high shutter speed was required and as the perch was only 3 foot above the water, lightning reflexes were also required. Finally, owing to the normal amount of UK light, to get the required settings, a high ISO was needed.

I started at 1/2000sec, F8 and ISO 2000, which seemed quite reasonable and my success rate was appalling. I then decided to go for it and changed my settings to 1/3,200sec, F11 and ISO 4000, as the light had improved. As my reflexes also improved I started to get some results, but this shot was the only one I got of it in mid dive and it's still not critically sharp.

I spent over 13 hours in the hide and although I got plenty of good shots on the perch, very few successful diving shots and I had to be fully alert the whole time. It could take a couple of hours for one to show up, but the next one could be there within 10 minutes.

Note to self: invent radio controlled Kingfishers!

Colin

Re: The Delete Button

Nice back story on how you get some terrific images Colon. Thanks for sharing

Tom

Comment

Colin how I can relate to your story way back in my filming days - the hours of waiting very often in a cramped hide, then the hundreds of feet that were left on the Cutting Room Floor - twenty seconds used for transmission!
      I sometimes wonder how we managed in the days of a roll of film in the camera - 36 Exposure Kodacrome. where unless you were a millionaire you made every shot count. No keeping your finger on the button for 10 frames a second hoping one will be OK - and then you had to wait until you got them back from the Lab to know if any at all were good.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Interesting, thanks for sharing your trials & tribulations. It's easy to forget about the amount of sheer hard work that goes into getting a top-notch shot, even for the more experienced togs.

And 13 hours in a hide would probably see me in the divorce court!
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I will certainly keep this picture as it shows all the relevant "blur"!
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
          X