Puffin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffin

I still haven't got my definitive Puffin with Sand Eels, but I quite like this one which was backlit and with some out of focus blue bells.

Because of the strong backlighting, I needed a couple of stops underexposure to make it work. Manual exposure: 1/640sec, F5.6, ISO400, 490mm.

C18I5617b by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: Puffin

Stunner Colin
    Steve ( LSINWP )
    1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

like the lighting on him Colin

the foreground looks a bit bright, had you thought about toning it down a bit and cloning the bit of mauve flower from the top left corner which is drawing the eye a little

stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Very nice indeed Colin ,good to know I'm not the only one without the classic sandeel shot

Comment

Very nice Colin, but would clone out that OOF Bluebell TL, but nevertheless a excellent shot
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

As usual, sharp and nice.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Like others I think the Puffin looks great Colin
              if mine I would perphaps dodge the highlighted area as on the top of the Puffin's head and shoulders then quieten down / crop out the left side and bottom on the frame
              Cheers
              Dave

Comment

Many thanks for all of your very kind suggestions, which I have included in the following revised version. Losing the out of focus bluebell seemed to alter the dynamics of the shot, so I have made a small alteration to the crop, which seems to bring it back into balance.

C18I5617c by Colin Cross, on Flickr
                Colin

Comment

Well captured Colin, great light and subject. I prefer the first one, though there is nothing wrong with the edit you posted.
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I prefer the first one
                    So do I Peter and that's why I posted it like that.

However, I am conscious that I have the emotional baggage that goes with the shot. The feelings when I was there, the shot that I actually decided to take at the time and what I was trying to achieve; one of which was the backlit Puffin amongst the bluebells and I am comfortable that with the conditions and light at the time, I got what I wanted.

But ............ if this were entered into a competition, a Judge needs to comment on the shot for a couple of minutes before moving onto the next shot and the easiest thing to comment upon are errors, or perceived errors. Bright areas towards the edge are a no-no and equally, areas brighter than the main subject are also frowned upon, as they distract the eye from the main subject. So, for competition the trick is to remove any element that the judge can criticise, get it technically correct, make the strongest composition you can and all being well you get a positive response from the Judge and a high mark.

The second shot is therefore for the Judge and I commend those members who suggested the alterations, but the first shot is for me.
                    Colin

Comment

Working...
                    X