Avocet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avocet

This Avocet was wandering around in the shallow water in the lagoon at Brownsea Island looking for food. What I liked about this shot was the ripples from the drops of water off the Avocet's beak and the reflection.

Enjoy.

Re: Avocet

The ripples and the reflection Glenn.
    A cracking shot well positioned to "meet the rule of thirds"

David
    David

Comment

Well done Glenn
      I've been a couple of times in the last month but although there were hundreds of them, they were all on the far side of the lagoon and never came anywhere near the hide. although its now closed season we have a couple of trips booked with Dorset Wildlife Trust so maybe they will be closer next time

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Thanks David, thanks Stan.

Good luck Stan, it's a shame they can't be more accommodating Although I was lucky in that there were a couple of Avocet's feeding not far from the DWT hide on the shore line as the tide was out.

Exif: 1D MKIV, Tv:1/1600, Av: f/6.3, 500mm, ISO: 800.

Comment

Although I was lucky in that there were a couple of Avocet's feeding not far from the DWT hide on the shore line as the tide was out.
          Usually both the avocets and black tailed godwits come in much closer and congregate around the two islands closest to the hide. Last week there were a few redshanks but that was about all, although there were 7 or 8 spoonbill on an island in the middle of the lagoon to the right of the hide but still a little too far away for shots

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Very nice shot Glenn. The pose and ripples really make the shot.

Overcast is the ideal light for Avocets and any other birds with a lot of dark and light plummage. I have tried Avocets in bright sunlight and there just isn't enough dynamic range in the digital sensor to give detail in the whites and the blacks.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Hi Glenn;

Well captured; great timing & well-framed / cropped...

I always think the Avocet is such a graceful bird, it almost looks good anywhere...

Cheers...
              I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
              Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks for your comments everyone

I always think the Avocet is such a graceful bird, it almost looks good anywhere...
                It was a joy to sit there and watch the Avocet go about its business. Collette and I were on holiday so it was nice to get away from the rat race.

Comment

Working...
                X