Red Kite on a tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Kite on a tree

A shot from a couple of weeks back at the Hawk Conservancy during the wild bird feed. He is on one of the dead trees in the meadow, a fair distance from the hide so I have cropped quite loosely
    WDYT

Stan

Last edited by Stan; 17-01-2011, 13:45.
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Red Kite on a tree

Just like a "Bird on a Stick" shot but bigger Stan!

I like it, it has an almost "Painterly Effect to it, I've not seen any of the Kites perched there before, its usually Herons or the Kestrels
    My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Good catch Stan as usually they are riding the "thermals" or "dive bombing" for food.
      Looking at the exif I get the feeling you have had to put some work into this image.

I am going to stick my neck out and say that yes there is detail in the wings and the dead tree and all the diagonals, composition etc are right, but, and I am not sure what the "but" is. Maybe because I know how big these birds actually are and this does not give me a sense of the size of the Kite.

David
      Last edited by djguk47; 17-01-2011, 12:20. Reason: crap speeling
      David

Comment

thanks for looking Brian and David
        I've not seen any of the Kites perched there before
        its not the tree nearest the hides, its the one to the left of the seating area, so must be a good 70/80 metres away. Its not often they perch there although i have often seen them in the trees around the edge of the field as they await feeding time.
        Looking at the exif I get the feeling you have had to put some work into this image.......Maybe because I know how big these birds actually are and this does not give me a sense of the size of the Kite.
        yes it needed a bit of work but not so much as you might imaging - the exposure and colours are more or less as the raw file
        Heres another shot which may give more context to the size of the kite

Stan

flickr

Comment

I much prefer the second shot Stan.

We often see the kites and buzzards being mobbed by the crows, so it is quite interesting to see them perched so close to each other.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Aha.. yep that is the one....the second shot gives more perspective.

I thought it was the dead tree near the hides as well. Must get back there to jog my ageing memory.

David
            David

Comment

I much prefer the second shot Stan......Aha.. yep that is the one....the second shot gives more perspective.
              cheers Colin and David. unfortunately with the second the crow was so small in the frame I wasn't able to get much detail

Stan

flickr

Comment

Hi Stan;

As a 'study' I find #1 a much better presentation personally! It's clearly a much cleaner shot of the Kite, and almost has a safari like look & feel to it...

#2 gives some perspective to the size of the birds; but wouldn't it have been a dream if they were 'eye-balling' each other!

More incentive for me to return to the HCT for a second visit when the chance of part-way decent weather is better!
                I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Cheers CF
                  #2 gives some perspective to the size of the birds; but wouldn't it have been a dream if they were 'eye-balling' each other
                  Quite a brave crow to sit there as usually the kites tend to see them off
                  More incentive for me to return to the HCT for a second visit when the chance of part-way decent weather is better!
                  I was there yesterday and weather was pretty good but not a kite in sight and only half a dozen herons turned up for the feeding

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                    Quite a brave crow to sit there as usually the kites tend to see them off
                    Interesting observation... When airbourne, the Crows & Rooks have no problem driving the Kites off their patch; they're far quicker & more agile; so they can get in & out with an 'attack' before the Kites can react!

Anyhow; at least you got out yesterday so where's the Heron shots then?
                    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

so where's the Heron shots then?
                      err.....they were cr*p

Stan
                      Last edited by Stan; 19-01-2011, 13:40.

flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X