Dead eyed Starling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead eyed Starling

Testing a new lens, I don't think I've snapped a bird in years, thought I'd give it a go as I saw some colourful ones in the garden this morning.

After waiting for nearly half an hour this Starling turned up just as I was going to give up

F4, 1/125 ISO 200, 40D, 70-200 2.8L, overcast dull - I was going to set up a flash but I didn't want birds perching on it

Trev
    Last edited by Trevoreast; 09-02-2011, 16:45.

Re: Dead eyed Starling

Here's a bit of my cheating setup. :-)
    Made a perch from branches and placed bread below it.
    Setup a perch about 5 or 6 foot from my open door, drew the curtains and used clothes pegs so the lens was poking out of the cutains.

Trev

Comment

Nout wrong with the cheeting or the lens by the looks of things

Comment

Thanks Muscat, I was hoping for one of those yellow tits - I was outta luck :-)

Trev

Comment

You've done all the right things Trev and thanks for posting your set-up.

A small flash at an angle would probalby have bounced some of the iridescence back to the camera.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Cheers Colin, I got actually got this idea from pics of a red squirrel in Scotland on the old forum.
            Do you remember "the default liken covered tree stump" they used to stage their wild red squirrel pics on ?? :-)

I will try the flash next time.
            I was utilising the high speed shooting on the 40D, this was the best of a burst, I think was close enough so the birds could hear the camera.

Trev

Comment

looks a very nice sharp image trev, nice tip on the set-up too.
              David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
              All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Trev, I have tried a similar technique with the camera near to the birds and found that if I put the Canon thick waterproof cover I have over the camera this killed a lot of the shutter slam, I also found that if I keep the camera rig where it is and fire off a couple of shots each time the birds came they simply got used to it and pretty much ignored the noise. Didn't help me get any really good pictures but I will try again when it gets brighter

Comment

Trev, I have tried a similar technique with the camera near to the birds and found that if I put the Canon thick waterproof cover
                  The 7D is louder than the 40D so I was only getting on shot, before they took off.

Caught this small brown bird with a creepy crawly of some sort.
                  Nearly the same setup as last time. This time I had 2 speedlights about 5 foot either side of my perch.

This was taken with a 7D rther than the 40D - ISO 200, F4, 1/160
                  To get a real sharp image I think I'd need a faster shutter speed.

Trev

Comment

Working...
                  X