Greenfinch taking off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenfinch taking off

I was taking some shots of this greenfinch this morning before he flew off and it wasn't until i reviewed the shots on the computer I found I had caught this action - the sort of shot you just can't plan for. I was able to get to within a few feet of him so the shot is not far off full frame and its interesting to see that although my shutter speed was 1/2000 there is still a lot of wing blur, showing they move very very fast
    WDYT

Stan

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Greenfinch taking off

I think its a cracker, the eye looks sharp, background is nicely blurred and its full of action and the urgency to fly off.
    is that a tag on its right leg?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian
      is that a tag on its right leg?
      a fair few of the birds i see have been ringed

Stan

flickr

Comment

A lot of views but only a single comment...is there something wrong that i have missed ?
        Here's the shot before he took off

Stan

flickr

Comment

Dont worry Stan - I have several without even one comment
          ef-r

Comment

Fair comment! I really think the taking off shot way out does the 2nd colour and as someone said the clarity of the birds eye!!!!!!
            Alun

Comment

Stan, I must say I'm impressed with your shots. I've seen quite a few posted here now and they're all brill! Love the shot of the greenfinch taking off, so hard to get, and as you say, a certain amount of luck... but you had to be there to get it, so well done. Keep 'em coming!

All the best, Mike.
              flickr
              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Stan

I love the first picture. If you were only a few feet away, what lens were you able to use?

Comment

Cheers guys
                  If you were only a few feet away, what lens were you able to use?
                  my standard bird combo of 7D with canon 300 f4 and 1.4x converter. It is unusual for me to be able to get so close which was strange on the day as i was able to get a similar distance from a stonechat

Stan

flickr

Comment

I confess sometimes I don't know what to say. (hard to believe for a woman I know) Theres also the "Beginner - what do they know" thing.

I do however prefer the first one, the blurring of the wings, with everything else sharp.

I do have a question, I take it that a 1.4 convertor is not like the extension tubes.. that it has a lens inside it? Does it go between the body and the lens, or onto the end of the lens?
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks for looking Di
                      I confess sometimes I don't know what to say. (hard to believe for a woman I know) Theres also the "Beginner - what do they know" thing.
                      just say whatever comes to mind - I do and regret it later
                      I do have a question, I take it that a 1.4 convertor is not like the extension tubes.. that it has a lens inside it? Does it go between the body and the lens, or onto the end of the lens?
                      an extension tube is just a hollow tube which enables a lens to focus closer than its minimum so your subject is larger in the frame.
                      A converter on the other hand has optics which alter the actual focal length of the lens, so with my 1.4 converter fitted my 300mm becomes 420 mm
                      Stan

flickr

Comment

He is certainly at full stretch! I am intrigued by the ring - wonder if he has escaped from an aviary, maybe why he is a bit tame?. Can you catch him and see what it says?? Great captures btw!

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                          Thanks for looking Di

just say whatever comes to mind - I do and regret it later

an extension tube is just a hollow tube which enables a lens to focus closer than its minimum so your subject is larger in the frame.
                          A converter on the other hand has optics which alter the actual focal length of the lens, so with my 1.4 converter fitted my 300mm becomes 420 mm
                          Stan

Thanks for that, learning everyday
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks for looking Diana
                            I am intrigued by the ring - wonder if he has escaped from an aviary, maybe why he is a bit tame?.
                            Many birds on nature reserves are ringed to keep tabs on populations etc. When i was at Blashford a few visits ago they were ringing then - a net had been set up to catch the birds

Stan

flickr

Comment

I've tried to capture similar shots in the garden this morning and I've managed some flight shots, but all of them are with wings 'tucked' so not what I was looking for. Well done.

Christian
                              http://hidingincars.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X