Whast wrong with this geese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whast wrong with this geese

Taking in Margam Park over the weekend stood approx 20-30ft from the bird, body is far clearer than its head kost similar shots were suffering from the same problem any ideas pls!!!! used 70--300mm sigma lens on crop body 1/30th sec was that too slow
    Alun

Re: Whast wrong with this geese

Goose was moving its head?
    ef-r

Comment

I took at least 6 shots of the bleeder and this was the best! He must have moved his head slightly, everytime I brought the camera up. So a faster shutter spped should have caught him???
      Alun

Comment

Assume you were zoomed out to 300 - then 1/30 is much too slow, you would have needed at least 1/500. Did you have all the focus points active - if so then the camera will choose where to focus, usually the nearest point, with your goose, somewhere around the wing area. You need to choose your focus point manually and focus it over the eye

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Agreed - 1/30 is too slow, unless, perhaps, your lens has about 4 stops worth of image stabilisation. And you don't mention aperture. It looks as if the goose was in shade, so the camera may have given a wide aperture - at such depth of field isn't huge at such distances, and if your camera chose the flank of the goose as the main focus point the head could had been outside the zone of sharpness (the tree certainly is).
          In such situations you could increase the ISO - probably wouldn't hurt to take it up to 400 in such circumstances, and that would give the possibility of a faster shutter speed and/or smaller aperture.
          Cheers, Chris.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Stan[/QUOTE]Assume you were zoomed out to 300

Set on AF Might well have turned the lens manually until the bird was a decent size in the frame. Hate to say I can't recall; it was an unexpected meeting and I was also trying to watch my grandson, who wanted to charge at the bird! I thought it must have just moved itd head and the speed was too slow until I recalled that a few shots had been taken and they all suffered the same fate. I even noticed a shot or 2 of my grandson had clear body and blurred head!!
            thanks as usual food for thought in the replies.
            Alun

Comment

Working...
            X