Autumn Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn Dog

Took this picture of my papillon yesterday morning in local woodlands.
    It was a bit murky, so the IS on the 100-300mm was having to work hard - handheld to capture a fast-moving unpredictable little dog.
    Obviously, there's been some post-processing going on here: there was a lack of colour in the original, so I decided to lose it. Would be interested to hear if you think I've overdone it - was adding a season-themed colour tone a good move?
    overall, is the picture too dark?

Re: Autumn Dog

Its a nice enough photo but for me the colour doesnt work. If the original was lacking any colour why not have a go at mono?
    Colin

Colin Wallace Photography

Canon 5D MKIII / 24-105L F4 USM IS / 70-300L F4 USM IS

Comment

Originally posted by Jedicolin View Post
      Its a nice enough photo but for me the colour doesnt work. If the original was lacking any colour why not have a go at mono?
      Fair point.

Back in the 80's, when I was learning, I bought some B&W photo paper of East European origin I think (Hungary sticks in my mind for some reason), because a photo mag article said it was quirky. Its "thing" was that it gave an almost overly "warm" result - if I'd printed this pic out as B&W on that paper it would have come out pretty much like that. Not everybodys taste

Comment

I'm with Colin regarding this shot.
        Top marks for trying and uploading something different

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Would look good as black and white. Could even keep the slight vingette to keep the focus on the dog.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks to all for roasting this pic

I don't mind at all - no point in putting up a photo on a photographers forum & not accepting criticism: you're coming at it from a photographic viewpoint, rather than an emotional one.
            I'm probably too close to the subject

Comment

As part of my HNC photography course, I'm doing some darkroom work which includes black and white developing with some sepia toning. Your image looks like some of the images we are producing, and if your trying to produce an old style photo, then it works. I like the vignetting effect, and for me it works.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
                As part of my HNC photography course, I'm doing some darkroom work which includes black and white developing with some sepia toning. Your image looks like some of the images we are producing, and if your trying to produce an old style photo, then it works. I like the vignetting effect, and for me it works.

John
                Hi John, thanks for that. Yeah, I was going for old-style, "timeless", a bit dreamy/ethereal with the vignetting.
                I'm always heartened to hear that in photography studies, film & dev/printing is still being taught.
                So what's the objective for you doing sepia toning? Experience? Curiousity? What uses is it put to?

Comment

Originally posted by Moushu View Post
                  Hi John, thanks for that. Yeah, I was going for old-style, "timeless", a bit dreamy/ethereal with the vignetting.
                  I'm always heartened to hear that in photography studies, film & dev/printing is still being taught.
                  So what's the objective for you doing sepia toning? Experience? Curiousity? What uses is it put to?
                  Hi Moushu, It is a part of darkroom techniques which is a credit towards my HNC in photography. We are doing toning to show what can be done after a B & W image has been developed. I don't think I will use this in the future, due to the fact that digital is much quicker and easier to do. My class will be the last to do darkroom work, a sign of the times.

John

Comment

Working...
                  X