My first caterpillar of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first caterpillar of the year

Was just putting the gardening stuff away (about 6pm, so light just going) when I saw this little thing. It is about 6mm long - you can tell how much it is magnified from the hairs on the leaves. The plant is a perrenial geranium. I still need to find a away of avoiding light shining on the leaves - I suspect it is down to the angle of the flashgun

50d, 180 +1.4 (252mm), iso 100, f22, 1/250 - 2 580EX strobes
    Last edited by briansquibb; 25-03-2011, 18:29.
    ef-r

Re: My first caterpillar of the year

THe problem is the leaves are not uniform so no matter the angle you will always likely get some reflection of the light coming back to the camera.

Nice shot though - I like the glow!
    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I'm with Jim on this, I love the glow. Is this some new, natural source of anti-freeze?

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        I'm with Jim on this, I love the glow. Is this some new, natural source of anti-freeze?

Colin
        I read about this technique of using flashes on translucent objects by placing the flashes at right angles to the object. This is basically the same as is commonly done with flowers but it works for many small insetcs etc

The two 580EX's were about 6 inches from the caterpillar, 1 each side. Expect more experiments in this area
        ef-r

Comment

Working...
        X