Rescued Bumble Bee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rescued Bumble Bee

I was walking past my fish pond when I spotted a bumblebee struggling.

Rescued with a sweeping brush and put in the sun shine to dry out.

It was only after a moment that I thought "Oh Photo!" and nearly broke my neck over the dog going for the camera.

Taken with Canon EOS 500D - 50-250mm IS lens - on AV. Handheld.

Wet and Straggly.

Drying Out.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Re: Rescued Bumble Bee

You have done a really good job on that
    ef-r

Comment

Well done Di but beware, it was a Bumble Bee rescue about 7 years ago that started me down the slippery slope of bee macro then into the wider world of bugs, bees and butterflies. Once hooked there is no escape!

The first one does it for me as you have got its face nicely in shot and detailed (you can even see the mandibles). Next thing to do is to get it with its tongue out, its an amazing construction.
      My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

nice pictures I love the second shot it's COOL :-)

Mick
        7d canon EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and a lot of luck ;-)

Comment

Well resuced and well shot!

Comment

Well done for the rescue and yet another winning shot for the 50 - 250m lens.

A good composition with strong diagonal and I particularly like the similar background colours in #1, but the lighter tones are a little more intrusive in #2. Thankfully, the broom head looks natural, rather than the bright colours often seen.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Did you have the Kenko extenders on?
              ef-r

Comment

Hi Di,

2 great shots, I love the detail in #1 and the way the bee is hanging onto the bristle in #2 made me laugh it was almost as if it was hugging the broom thanking it for getting it out of the water.

Your camera and lens combo is working well for macro you will soon be well and truly hooked on the macro theme

Comment

Thanks all. Glad you like em.

Well done Di but beware, it was a Bumble Bee rescue about 7 years ago that started me down the slippery slope of bee macro then into the wider world of bugs, bees and butterflies. Once hooked there is no escape!

The first one does it for me as you have got its face nicely in shot and detailed (you can even see the mandibles). Next thing to do is to get it with its tongue out, its an amazing construction.
                  Thanks I'm trying my best with bees... but everytime I get close to one, they buzz off... I spent ages chasing one round the quince plant, it got that fed up of me, it shot through the bush and disappeared up the cherry tree. Maybe I'll have some better luck with butterflies :O)

Well done for the rescue and yet another winning shot for the 50 - 250m lens.

A good composition with strong diagonal and I particularly like the similar background colours in #1, but the lighter tones are a little more intrusive in #2. Thankfully, the broom head looks natural, rather than the bright colours often seen.

Colin
                  Thanks. The background is a pebbledashed wall, but on the second on, the lines you can see in the background is some trellis attached to the wall. I did think of blurring it a little bit more in GNU but worried it might look too over done.

Did you have the Kenko extenders on?
                  No extenders on. Just the 50-250mm lens in av mode - I was lent against the wall and sort of "spragged" to be stable if that makes sense. the postman hadn't called at that time.

Hi Di,

2 great shots, I love the detail in #1 and the way the bee is hanging onto the bristle in #2 made me laugh it was almost as if it was hugging the broom thanking it for getting it out of the water.
                  Poor thing did look quite bedraggled. I had to tap the broom to shake water off it. It stayed there for a while getting dry and warm again. Should consider its self lucky. The big carp in the pond had just been fed.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

I spent ages chasing one round the quince plant, it got that fed up of me,
                    the one secret I would share with you is "Don't chase the Bee" Di, stand still, watch and learn their habits then stand in the right place for a matter of moments and they will come to you. then its just a case of having your camera set and ready and before you can say "Buzz" - you will be a "Bee-Shootist"

(Don't tell anyone its so simple though - its our secret! )
                    My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldcanon View Post
                      the one secret I would share with you is "Don't chase the Bee" Di, stand still, watch and learn their habits then stand in the right place for a matter of moments and they will come to you. then its just a case of having your camera set and ready and before you can say "Buzz" - you will be a "Bee-Shootist"

(Don't tell anyone its so simple though - its our secret! )

Thanks. :o)
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X