Sprats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprats

It seems to be happening at regular intervals along the coast this autumn. Sprats are being driven onto beaches in West Wales by mackerel and people have been scooping them out of the water. These were caught this morning.
    As a matter of interest (or not), the lady in the middle was the first person to BASE jump (and survive) from the Eiffel Tower.

Sprats by Emyr Rhys Williams, on Flickr

Re: Sprats

the composition and storytelling are good but I think you need to make more use of the histogram on the camera LCD when you are shooting as this shot is almost one stop underexposed.

Ok you could sort it in post processing and at the same time, perhaps crop off the sky along the top
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan. The trouble is it looks fine on my laptop and my iMac but rubbish on my iPad. The upload hasn't helped either.
      I've re-processed the pic and it looks too light to me. I quite like the crop but I've lost the birds which were flying around in the distance.

Sprats_2 by Emyr Rhys Williams, on Flickr

Comment

looks about right now. Losing the birds I don't think is a problem as they were so small as to not add anything to the frame
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

For me the drop of the sky really didn't change anything in the photo. And as far as that drop, do keep in mind print sizes. I make it a habit to overshoot for print since most of my photos go to print at some point. But to me the viewpoint doesn't work. To me there is too much going on. I find myself searching for a centralized subject. Imagine how the photo would look if you dropped the gentleman on the right and the gal pointing to the fish of the gentleman on the left became what directs your eye to him and his catch in a portrait format...
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by H2OJunkie View Post
            For me the drop of the sky really didn't change anything in the photo. And as far as that drop, do keep in mind print sizes. I make it a habit to overshoot for print since most of my photos go to print at some point. But to me the viewpoint doesn't work. To me there is too much going on. I find myself searching for a centralized subject. Imagine how the photo would look if you dropped the gentleman on the right and the gal pointing to the fish of the gentleman on the left became what directs your eye to him and his catch in a portrait format...
            The suggested crop does indeed work quite well. Losing the sky worked for me.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Forgot to say lift in exposure good too.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

2nd one for me

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Emyr

Comment

I am thinking of fried sprats. A bit of chilly powder, a bit of curry powder, bit of salt all marinated and fried to crispyness. a good starter instead of popodum. A hint to Tom with all his culinary expertise!!
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      I am thinking of fried sprats. A bit of chilly powder, a bit of curry powder, bit of salt all marinated and fried to crispyness. a good starter instead of popodum. A hint to Tom with all his culinary expertise!!
                      Mmmmm....I haven't had sprats for years!
                      Chris
                      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                        Mmmmm....I haven't had sprats for years!
                        Same here!
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                        X