Civil War Period Dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civil War Period Dress

While attending the Easton, Pa Heritage Day Celebration here are a few people dressed in the Civil War Period.

All Pictures taken using a 5DMKII with the EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens using ISO 160.

300mm @ 1/200 sec @ f/5.6.

My wife joined the Union Army.

70mm @ 1/200 sec @ f/9.0

128mm @ 1/200 sec @ f/9.0

112mm @ 1/200 sec @ f/9.0

252mm @ 1/50 sec @ f/9.0

Comments Welcomed
    Tom
    Last edited by tesarver; 09-07-2012, 01:28.

Re: Civil War Period Dress

All the odd ones are my favourites Tom, 1, 3 and 5.

They look like you could have been there, with an old wooden plate camera. The edge fade to #5 is very in keeping with an old photograph.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

#3 and #5 really stand out and take you back in time.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

#5 has much character. love that one. thanks for sharing
        regards
        Donald

Comment

Nice set Tom, I'm for the odd numbers too, 1,3,5 with number five getting the top vote from those three.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Great images Tom but I don't understand why the mono/sepia conversions.
            Even during the American Civil War (1861–1865) uniforms were blue or grey.
            Although photography and film was mainly black & white there were very few monuments or high-rise buildings back then, or baseball caps or T-shirts.
            #3 & #5 for me, nicely done.

Comment

Great set Tom. I think the sepia sits well with the images. I like these alot so thankx for taking the time for sharing.
              PS - on a second look (I am a lazy bar stuard) #5 is a real belter

Comment

Thanks all for the kind remarks. Stephen, as for the mono/sepia conversion it was because I liked the look it gives the photos. So it's a personal choice.

Again thanks.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                  as for the mono/sepia conversion .......... it's a personal choice.
                  as I said "nicely done".

Comment

1/60 sec @ f/8.0, ISO 160, 252mm

WDYT

Comment

Don't know why no-one has commented on this one, I like it, the guy has lots of character, really looks the part. I think the after processing looks more in keeping with the implied age of the photo, whereas the before looks like a modern man dressing up, but it is a nice portrait none the less. I like the processing on the clothes, I am not 100% sure about it on the face.

Personally, just my opinion, in this one picture of him (unlike the one of him above) I find the background distracting, the tree bough and the red/blue (flag?) at the back, it is more subdued in the 'after' but still there - I know it is not always possible to think about backgrounds in situations like this - and I do it all the time and don't even notice until after. I think this one looks even better if you crop right in to the face as a head and shoulders portrait.

Good picture though.

Ian
                      EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Working...
                      X