The Misses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Misses

While at Musikfest down by the old Steel Mill, got this shot of the Misses with the Mill as background

5DMKII w/Sigma 85mm f/1.4
    1/60 sec @ f/10, ISO 160 w/fill flash

Comments Welcomed
    Tom

Re: The Misses

Very nice photo of you misses. I note that you are very proud of your lovely Misses- as it should be. she too is very photogenic.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Tom, the image is nice and sharp with nice detail. I would have used a shallower DOF, as the background is very distracting, and the subject has to stand out from the background more. Although as I said in a previous posting rules are made to be tested. Just my tuppence worth.

John

Comment

Much more appealing than the .. Eh! um! ... self portrait Tom.
        A beautiful image of a beautiful lady
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          Very nice photo of you misses. I note that you are very proud of your lovely Misses- as it should be. she too is very photogenic.
          Thank's Nathaniel. Yes I am very proud of her and consider my self a very lucky man these past 37 years.

Originally posted by John27 View Post
          Hi Tom, the image is nice and sharp with nice detail. I would have used a shallower DOF, as the background is very distracting, and the subject has to stand out from the background more. Although as I said in a previous posting rules are made to be tested. Just my tuppence worth.

John
          Thank's John for the comment and suggestion. Much appreciated

Tom

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
          Thanks do much Stephen.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post

Tom it's to do with Welsh Blood/sense of humour Stephen has ROFL

Ditto WRT Lady
            Last edited by ST-EOS; 10-08-2012, 08:20. Reason: Brain malfunction
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks Peter

Tom

Comment

Tom that's a nice shot !
                Pretty lady against a somewhat grim, industrial BG.

I don't get why you have a fast lens 1.4 and stop it down to F10 forcing yourself to shoot @ 1/60 with an 85mm lens when you don't have to, going to ISO 160 to get the 1/60. Not a criticism by any means, just curious, we all have our own ways of shooting. :-)

Trev

Comment

Hi Trev, There were a couple of reasons, 1st was that I didn't want to blur the background and loose the steel mill in the background. I know some would have done that, but that was not the shot that I was looking for. 2nd, I was using a fill flash & the brightness of the setting sun would not allow me to have the aperture higher then 200. If I would of not used the fill flash, then I would have to set the exposure on her, thus blowing out the background. So that is why I settled on those settings.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the reply Tom

I understand point 1, it's your "creative call" on whether the BG should be sharp or in focus.
                    I think it works fine as is.

On point 2, do you mean you had to stay within the 5Dmk2's max sync speed of 1/200 ?

Trev

Comment

On second thoughts Tom, please don't feel any pressure to get into a techy conversation LOL
                      It's not really what photography is about anyway. :-)

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                        Thanks for the reply Tom

On point 2, do you mean you had to stay within the 5Dmk2's max sync speed of 1/200 ?

Trev
                        Hi Trev,

I had the camera set up for manual mode w/270EX Flash attached to the hot shoe. For some reason, haven't figured out why, the camera (in manual mode) would not let me move the aperture faster than 1/200 sec.

Tom

Comment

On second thoughts Tom, please don't feel any pressure to get into a techy conversation LOL
                          It's not really what photography is about anyway. :-)

Trev
                          No pressure, it would be interesting to figure out why the camera did that. Just haven't had the time since to play with it again.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                            No pressure, it would be interesting to figure out why the camera did that. Just haven't had the time since to play with it again.

Tom
                            Tom you just need to put it in HSS mode - you do this in the flash control menu in your camera.
                            Then you can have any shutter speed you want - up to 1/8000.

On bright days I enable this by default, if you drop to slower shutter speeds than 1/200 the camera will auto cancel and re-enable HSS for you

This opens up a world of fill flash, fast shutter speeds and wide apertures on bright days.

I'm guessing you are more used the the dedicated HSS button on bigger flashguns. :-)

Trev
                            Last edited by Trevoreast; 14-08-2012, 17:36.

Comment

Tom you just need to put it in HSS mode - you do this in the flash control menu in your camera.
                              Then you can have any shutter speed you want - up to 1/8000.

On bright days I enable this by default, if you drop to slower shutter speeds than 1/200 the camera will auto cancel and re-enable HSS for you

This opens up a world of fill flash, fast shutter speeds and wide apertures on bright days.

I'm guessing you are more used the the dedicated HSS button on bigger flashguns. :-)

Trev
                              Thanks Trev, didn't know that.. This is why this forum is so good.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X