Rare moment of willingness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare moment of willingness

Grabbed a rare shot of daughter in garden while waiting to go out. Tried the tamron 70 to 300 again at about 140 mm, f4.5, 1/200th pop up flash. Looks softer on here than on my laptop

EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Re: Rare moment of willingness

I like the composition, the lighting w/flash is spot on and the OOF background is perfect. I like the soft look in the eyes, however it looks like the focus was on the shoulder. But still this is definitely a keeper shot.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom,

I have been disappointed with a lot of my shots, not being very sharp, does not seem to matter what lens I use either. I know when an image looks sharp, so I don't think it is my eyes. And I have had some very sharp images so I know it is possible, and therefore not an issue with the camera.

In this case though you are correct, I went back and checked the af point - for some reason I broke my habit (of only using the centre af point) and it was on auto. The points used seemed to have been the shoulder, the lips and parts of the hair. - Lesson learned.

But this also brings another point, some of the shots I have taken, I use centre af point only, but this then necessitates focus/recompose (which I know a lot of photographers advocate anyway) I do this a lot, sometimes with good results.

Problem is in DPP, when you check the data, the AF point will show its position after the recomposing, so if I focus on eyes (beep and green light) but then lower the camera (while keeping the shutter half pressed) to get a better composition, I cant see after the event where I focused to check for error on my part. Am I doing anything wrong in this?

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Ian, nice portrait and a good keeper.

With regard to the soft focus issue I was wondering if you have tried any static tests with the lens, I am making the assumption here that it is normally with this one lens, by putting the camera on a tripod and using the different af settings to take the same shot and then using a manual focus to see what you get. It may be that you need to do a microadjust to help improve the pairing of camera / lens to get a better focus. If I have missed the point then sorry for the ramblings

Comment

Thanks Muscat, I might give that a try, here was a quick grab really, we (my daughter and I) were ready to go out just waiting on the other half and as my daughter was actually allowing me to take a shot or two (happens less frequently than Hally's Commet) I had no time to set up a tripod or fiddle with settings too much

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Although it is a little soft its still a nice portrait and would have been a cracker with sharp eyes.

You always need to take control of the focus point and never let the camera make the decision. I am lucky with the 7D in having 19 different focus point to choose from, so 90 % of the time I can choose a focus point which is over the area i want to focus on. Even with those cameras such as yours with only the 9 points, I would have thought one would be close enough even if it meant perhaps stepping back a little / changing the zoom or cropping on pp

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

As members have said this does look a little soft which is a real shame as this is a lovely portrait, Tom points out the shoulder is the sharpest part of the image.you must give this another go, if those eyes were sharp this would be a perfect portrait.

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Hi Ian,

Yhis might be where Backbutton focus comes into play. Use the backbutton to set focus then when you recompose, the shutter button is not the issue. I you probably know this, but the older I get the more I need to follow the rule Focal Length = Shutter Speed. I'm not as steady as I once was, or would like to think I am

Tom

Comment

Let me start by saying it's a lovely pic of a pretty young lady.

When we start pixel peeping with a view to finding faults, we will invariably find. :-)
                  Put this on facebook and people will say "wow great pic!".

Might be where Backbutton focus comes into play
                  Yes Tom, it's one of the key uses of BBF imho.

Ian I notice this image shot at ISO 1250 and is noiseless, have you used NR software at all ?

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                    Let me start by saying it's a lovely pic of a pretty young lady.

When we start pixel peeping with a view to finding faults, we will invariably find. :-)
                    Put this on facebook and people will say "wow great pic!".

Yes Tom, it's one of the key uses of BBF imho.

Ian I notice this image shot at ISO 1250 and is noiseless, have you used NR software at all ?

Trev
                    Hi Trev, thanks for the comments. I just went back tot he EXIF to check and I can see that I had the camera on night scene - I normally only use AV and Manual (sometimes TV) now but I just wanted to try out the night scene setting on a previous shot, got distracted and forgot to return the camera to my normal setting, hence the auto iso and the iso of 1250.

as for the noiseless??

I have not done anything, I never use the noise reduction in DPP - all I do is play with contrast, maybe sharpness, then I open in picasa or something else and tweak a bit.

here is the exif

I think I need to try out BBF as suggested - thanks again

File Name Rhianna Portraits_2012_09_06_2167.CR2
                    Camera Model Canon EOS 600D
                    Firmware Firmware Version 1.0.1
                    Shooting Date/Time 06/09/2012 19:13:31
                    Author Ian Taylor
                    Copyright Notice (c)Ian Taylor Photography
                    Owner's Name
                    Shooting Mode Night Scene
                    Lighting or Scene Default setting
                    Ambience Standard setting
                    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/200
                    Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
                    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
                    Exposure Compensation 0
                    ISO Speed 1250
                    Auto ISO Speed ON
                    Lens 70-300mm
                    Focal Length 141.0mm
                    Image Size 5184x3456
                    Image Quality RAW
                    Flash Off
                    FE lock OFF
                    White Balance Mode Auto
                    AF Mode One-Shot AF
                    AF area select mode Automatic selection
                    Picture Style Auto
                    Sharpness 3
                    Contrast 0
                    Saturation 0
                    Color tone 0
                    Color Space sRGB
                    Long exposure noise reduction 0:Off
                    High ISO speed noise reduction 0:Standard
                    Highlight tone priority 0:Disable
                    Auto Lighting Optimizer Standard
                    Peripheral illumination correction Enable
                    Dust Delete Data No
                    File Size 24476KB
                    Drive Mode Single shooting
                    Live View Shooting OFF
                    Camera Body No. 023011007794
                    Comment

Comment

as for the noiseless??
                      600D is capable of impressive clean images @ ISO 1250 even allowing for reduction ans web display at 800px, that's all I'm saying :-)

In night mode the camera may have auto focussed on the shoulder because it was closest.
                      I'm not sure if you can pick your own focus point in night scene mode.

Trev

Comment

Could it be the Auto Selection setting, as per the Exif, for the AF point which has made the camera select the nearest focus point, i.e. the shoulder?

Regards Paul

Comment

Ian a lovely image of your daughter Rhianna.
                          Some simple post processing in DPP will sharpen this image.
                          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Very nice portrait. A little soft, Looking at the overall image I think your main problem is camera shake and a little front focused. I would when using that lens never drop below a 500th. I know that sounds a lot but a think the quality of your pics will improve with a higher shutter speed.
                            Again nice pic and lovely model. Every time I get the camera out now I get large sighs from the Grand Kids. I have found that if you tie them down with clear cellotape it does not show on the pics. (just kidding)
                            Cheer
                            Treff

Comment

Ian! Cheer up. I like this photo quite a lot as the softness does add to the niceness of the image. Too much sharpness or details makes the image look very harsh IMHO.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X