• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studio potrait

A different take on a portrait

5dII, iso100,1/200,f8, 135f2, modeling light only

ef-r

Re: Studio potrait

wow, that is a very striking picture Brian. how did you create that? is it HDR?
    David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
    All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

I created the look by changing it to monochrome with dark sepia tint in Silver Efex and then passed it though Portrait Professional to get the skin texture.

Otherwise it is how it came out of the camera :)
      ef-r

Comment

It looks to me like the sort of "comic art" imagery some of the high-end computer gamers create, its a striking effect (what did the model think of it?)
        My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

The model loves it
          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
            The model loves it
            Which is all that really matters. Not keen on it myself, not my cup of tea although I appreciate the skills involved.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Very nice.....

Coda
              There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

There's something there Brian, but not quite yet.

Portrait Pro, left to itself, does too strong a job smoothing out the skin. May I suggest expanding the buttons and eazing back on the sliders to add a little realism.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

On my evening class we had the use of the model for the evening with the lecturer giving us the light positions. The number of different poses was very small - so once I had the 'standard' poses in the bag I then moved down the non realistic route.

I understand what you mean about the default sliders in Portrait Pro - I normally use virtually nothing in the way of changes, ususally just a litttle help with spots and bad skin. This time I decided to go to the other end, expand the buttons and play with the effects without any pretence of making it realistic. The one above was my take on the girl from Goldfinger, I did another for example on the style of 80's Blondie record albumn

It make my collection just that little different from the rest of the class, which was the intention.

The lecturer had asked us to process the photos in the 'modern' way for magazine shots which is to slightly overblow the face. He also set the lights (not too much flexibility due to the small size of the room) so this picture was taken with even left and right lighting demonstrating how it flattens out the face when losing the nose shadow.

My personal inclination is to go as realistic as possible but it is interesting to let go sometimes. I am still not convinced about the loss of detail when overblowing - but I suppose it is to allow the eye to move to the hair or clothing presumably.
                  Last edited by briansquibb; 29-01-2011, 03:10.
                  ef-r

Comment

3 main things I don't like

1. The highlights are just too bright

2. More importantly the lumps around the throat area are very unsightly

3. The eyes don't sit well.Theres an overly white part in the far away eye and the edited area seems to be deleted with some sort of hard brush....so they stand out but in a way that doesn't flow with the rest of the image - the eyes are pin sharp but they need something else to be able to fit within the rest of the image.

I can see what you were trying but doesn't quite make it.
                    Last edited by EOS_Jim; 30-01-2011, 07:15.
                    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Jim - here is the original. You will no doubt notice that the lumps and bumps are there too- it is a protruding collar bone. This was an exercise to move into the surreal - just by playing with the light levels - there was no re-sculpturing.

Personally I find these standard studio poses rather boring so I experimented a bit.

Last edited by briansquibb; 30-01-2011, 08:20.
                      ef-r

Comment

LOL I'd a sneaky suspicion you'd have a "more conventional" shot up your sleeve Brain.
                        That's why I never commented on the first one, which to be frank is not my cuppa tea, each to thier own though !
                        Trev

Comment

I can see why you wanted to "play" Brian.

Nothing wrong with the lighting, in fact many professional photographers make ba good living out of just this set-up. It may be what the customer wants, but it's a little uninspiring.

You keep experimenting. It won't work most of the time, but when it does, it's well worth the effort.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

i think it's a very nice shot although yes there are issues.

light is very flat, but the main issue is that there is just no expression and the lack of eye contact doesn't do it any great favours. Exposure is great and she is very pretty . The collarbone is not an issue at all though. The edit really protrudes the collarbone.
                            5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I agree with EOS_Jim. And I would add that I'm not sure I like the way Portrait Pro (I guess its it's fault) rendered her hair on her left side.

Comment

Working...
                              X