I Hate Parties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Hate Parties

I've never been a fan of parties, but I have come to hate them as a photographer. I was asked recently to take photos at three parties this week, or as we call them in Milan, aperitivi. I went to one two nights ago and took pictures with a Lumix GF1 camera. This was just a trial run since I wasn't asked to take pictures at this aperitivo. I wanted to use my small camera because I felt it would be less intrusive.

The results with the Lumix were disastrous. Many of the photos were blurry because the bar was too dark and people too animated--this is Italy, after all. After a while, I switched the ISO to a higher, more sensitive setting. That solved the blur problem, but when I got home and loaded them on my computer with its larger monitor, I saw that the shots were very grainy, or rather loaded with noise. The Lumix camera with its lens are pretty pricey. I've been actively taking pictures for several years now and have studied the topic extensively. It's pretty frustrating and embarrassing when my images aren't as good as ones taken by people at the party with their telephone.

Last night I went to the first aperitivo of three in which I've been asked to take pictures. I didn't use the Lumix this time: it probably could work, but I didn't want to experiment. I took a safer route and used my Canon 5D, Mark II with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L lens. I had to endure several people commenting on my supposedly big camera, but the results were much better and not so embarrassing. However, I am still not pleased with the shots I took.

Looking over my photos, I think I see where I went wrong in a few ways. However, I'd like to confirm my assessment with y'all before tonight when the second aperitivo takes place.

I have many shots which did not come out well, but I'll just show a couple of the better ones here. This first shot is of a friend of mine, the local U.S. consulate (in the middle), and an Italian politician (on the right). The camera locked in on the chin of the politician. It's in focus, but the consulate isn't even though he's fairly in line and parallel to each other.

The aperture is set to f/8; the shutter speed is at 1/10 of a second; and the ISO is at 2500. My Lumix was grainy above 400, so I'm reaping the benefits of a better camera here. With the aperture at f/8, I thought that I would have had a deep enough of a depth of field to have all three of these guys in focus. I'm thinking that if I would set my ISO higher, I could have a shorter shutter time and the subjects wouldn't be so blurry. But I'm concerned that I'll start having problems with noise.

In this shot, I focused on you the young man's face, but at the last moment the focus point switched to his neck and his chest. So the sweater is in focus, but he and his girlfriend are not very clear. In this one, the aperture is set to f/8, the shutter to 1/13 of a second, and the ISO is at 2500. Again, would a higher ISO make this a clearer shot? Do I also need more depth of field and should have set the aperture to f/16 maybe?

Another idea I have to tweak my results is to use a different lens. I own a Zeiss Distagon f/2.8 21mm ZE lens. It would certainly work better when taking shots of more people at a party. It takes excellent pictures, but it's a manual focus lens. I'm wondering if that's going to make all of my shots out of focus since I'm dealing with moving targets.

So, what do y'all think? What can I do to take better pictures tonight, given my equipment and all? I'd appreciate any suggestions on improving my abilities and fast. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by russelljtdyer; 06-05-2015, 16:59.

Re: I Hate Parties

Russell, I am not an expert but the first thing that spings to mind with me is that the exposures are very slow 1/10 and 1/13 which will lead to movement / camera shake, I would also use the centre point or a selected focus point to control where the camera focuses.

Can you use a flash pointed at the ceiling, if you can then you will be able to use a faster shutter speed and reduce your ISO rating. Looking at the pictures I feel that you are getting enough DOF at f8 but it is in the wrong place, in both images it looks to me as if the imageis sharper behind the subjects which if you had that amount of DOF on the subjects you would be OK, I am guessing that this is down to the focus not being where it needs to be.

I hope that others will be able to offer advice for you but good luck for tonight

Comment

Are you using a flash? EXIF says you are not. ........
      Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

No, I didn't bring a flash. I thought it would have been too irritating to people. But, I'm thinking now, based on what Muscat mentioned above, that I should just use a flash. I'm not used to working with others much, dealing with their complaints and other concerns about photographing them. This is a reoccurring negative theme of mine, I know. I guess I need to get over that and then the people at the party will get over it too.

Besides what advice y'all can offer about taking pictures without a flash, any advice on using a flash at a party? Muscat said to point it at the ceiling. Should I put a diffuser on it too. I have one of those Lumiquest Promax Systems, which comes a reflectors with open space in the back so that some of the flash goes towards the ceiling and a little towards the subject. How should I set my ISO and shutter speed if I use a flash? I don't have time to experiment before tonight.

Comment

I would use a diffuser and bounce off ceiling as well. Experiment with the best set up us lighting may vary at different places in the party. Put the flash on ETTL and it should sort out your shutter speed for you.
          Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

I use a Flash Bracket which lifts the flash well above the camera (I use it without grips) - here - this works well in portrait mode too

On the flash I use a softbox - here

I have found that using direct flash does not fire straight into people's eyes - much less that point and shoots or camera phones.

It isn't a way of taking candid pictures - but you will find people coming up to you to take their photos - especially the VIPS who want a good picture and are not intimidated by pro togs

On my 5DII I use the 24-105 at about 85mm, f8, iso400 (keeps the level of flash down) typicaly I use 1/125 - but that clearly depends on the movement of the subjects. I find that subtle overpowering of the ambient light will lift the subjects from the background. I have done the setup using liveview at the beginning of the evening

If you dont want to use a flash - use ISO 6400 and an IS lens. Slightly over expose to minimise noise and use noise reduction software = I use Topaz DeNoise.

Just a gerneral observation - why worry about using a fast lens when any old f4Lwith IS will give you better results at f8 than the 50 1.2 in low light - have you got a 24-105?
            Last edited by briansquibb; 18-02-2011, 12:40.
            ef-r

Comment

Brian,

When I pulled out my flash a little while ago to replace the batteries and make sure I remember how to set it, I was wondering if I should use a flash bracket. I have the extendable one made by Manfrotto. I can move that bad boy way above people's heads and angle it down at them, too. The only problem is that the combination becomes difficult to keep in my control, especially when trying to make adjustments to the camera. My main concern, though, is that I'm going to be far too intrusive--remember, I started with that little Lumix and every night I become more obnoxious. These aren't just parties in which I'm to take photos, but I'm also a guest, a participant. I want to have some time and physical freedom to interact with the beautiful Italian women who will be present. So, how do you maneuver around with a flash bracket in a tightly populated party? Do you find yourself swinging and smacking men in the face and knocking wine glasses out of women's hands?

Comment

Hi
                May I make a suggestion before tonight, take an hour and practice on family before the party. We have all done the thing where we agree to something without all the tools for the job. Your F stop is O/K to keep everyone in focus so what’s left is shutter speed. You need to increase that and it may be that you need some indirect flash as others have mentioned already. My other nugget may be the old adage KISS. I am sure you realise this so good luck with the party.
                Mac T

Comment

Originally posted by russelljtdyer View Post
                  I want to have some time and physical freedom to interact with the beautiful Italian women who will be present.
                  Pray that one of them is a tog

Originally posted by russelljtdyer View Post
                  So, how do you maneuver around with a flash bracket in a tightly populated party? Do you find yourself swinging and smacking men in the face and knocking wine glasses out of women's hands?
                  The flash bracket I have puts the flash on top of the camera - unlike the old newpaper style where they are at the side. I have no problem in wedding receptions. If you are 'the guest with the camera' get the host to setup photo shoots with the most important guests.
                  Last edited by briansquibb; 18-02-2011, 12:50.
                  ef-r

Comment

I'm glad someone else has the same worries as me,I would go to pieces doing a party night, right out of my comfort zone . And as for using a flash worries me even more don't think I've ever taken a pic with flash that I'm happy with, to dark one minute to bright the next, thought TTL took care of the exposure for you.It's definitely one area i need to work on !So Russell your not alone,Good luck !

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

No point getting worried about it - the worst you can get is blurred pictures

I dont rely on bounce flash except fpr light infill
                      ef-r

Comment

Definitely Better with a Flash

Last night I used the flash, as recommended and discussed. It went off much better. Bouncing and using a diffuser not only softened the light, but no one complained. I didn't use the bracket, though. I felt I was pushing it too much and that it would be too awkward for me when not shooting. I was attending the event mostly to have a good time, not to work as an event photographer. There's another one tonight. Maybe I'll step up a bit more and use the flash bracket. I'll have more daring tonight, plus everyone seems to be enjoying seeing the images on the group's web site the next day.

Below are a few examples of the results I got from using the flash.

In this first one, the young Italian woman on the left turned as I took the picture, and the young British fellow on the right was moving his hand and body. Without the flash, she would have been out of focus a bit and the guy on the right would have been a blur as I was seeing the previous night. I shot it with the aperture at f/8, shutter open for 1/125 of a second, and with the ISO set at a lovely 125. No noise here.

If you're wondering why I was worried about the pictures coming out well (Brian)--thanks for the compassion on this, Paul--look at this next photograph. It's of the American consulate here in Milan--I may need his help if I get in trouble with the police one day--and the older man on the right is the Portuguese ambassador to Italy. There were a few other ambassadors and consulates present. My fellow members of the group who wanted their picture taken, especially the shots of them with their favorite diplomat, would not be too happy with me if I had to tell them the picture I took of them came out blurry.

The shot above was taken with the aperture at f/8, shutter at 1/60 of a second, and the ISO at 125. In this shot especially, I had to do some post shooting tweaking in Adobe. The flash brought out a redness in the ambassador's face. So I changed the hue of red in the image. This gave the consulate on the left a bit of a chocolate tanned look, but I figured that's better than making the ambassador look drunk when he wasn't. If I had had more times and more abilities, I could have found a better balance or have altered the red hues just on the older man's face. But it was late when I got home and wanted to get the images posted before I went to bed.

One of tricks I did with my Canon 5D, MII was to use the custom user settings for the mode dial. At home, before heading to the party, I set the camera to Manual mode. I set the aperture to f/8, shutter to 1/60, and ISO to 125. I also set the white balance to flash, the color palette to natural, and a few other things. Then I registered this combination of settings to the C3 on the camera's mode dial. I then reset everything to a higher ISO and made a few other changes to set it to where I should have everything assuming I can't use the flash, but am shooting in dark lighting. I registered that to C2 on the mode dial--I have C1 already set for studio shots at home.

The point of setting the custom modes was to be ready for the night and to be able to return quickly to default settings I had determined calmly in advance. A few times I had to make some adjustments depending on where people were standing. A couple of times two friends borrowed my camera to take pictures--I was happy for the break. When they returned the camera, the settings were way off. I just turned the mode dial to a preset mode and then back to C3 at the end and I was ready to start fresh shooting again. It helped me from going astray and took the stress off of me.

Here's one last sample shot, just for fun.

Look how nice this one came out and imagine what a shame it would have been if it had been out of focus like my images from the previous night. I think these girls had training as models. The two of them slipped into this pose without any coaching or encouragements and without any coordinating with each other. I pointed the camera at them and they each did a slight turn, looked right into the lens, and then relaxed their muscles in place. They were so natural. It was a pleasure to take their picture. They didn't make me feel like I was intruding. They didn't squirm or complain or exaggerate their motions. They not only made me feel welcome, I felt a symbiotic connection to them for that very brief moment. When I finished, I nodded thanks, they smiled softly and then turned back towards each other and resumed their conversation. It was only about a five second photographic relationship, but it was neat. It's nice to work with professionals.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and help. It's made a huge difference. I have one more aperitivo tonight for this series. If you have ideas of how I might improve further, please let me know. Practice is probably the thing that will improve me the most at this point, but I'm sure I'm doing something fundamentally wrong and can fix before tonight. So, please, let me know today if you can. Thanks.
                        Last edited by russelljtdyer; 06-05-2015, 17:00.

Comment

Those are much better Russel!

I just dont understand why so many people are using partial ISO's - I was taught right from the beginning -100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200

It is my understanding that get the worst of both worlds - perhaps someone can clarify?

Russel what kind of diffuser did you use? Nice little catchlights
                          Last edited by briansquibb; 19-02-2011, 10:55.
                          ef-r

Comment

Flash Diffusor

Brian,

I don't know why I picked ISO 125. I think it was an incremental choice and it sounded good at the moment. I didn't think much about it, other than it was better than 2000.

Regarding the ISO, though, I realize now that such a low setting was not a good choice. I showed a photographer friend of mine the pictures and he recommended I set the ISO to 400. The pictures I posted here are after a few minor adjustments in Adobe Lightroom. For almost all of the pictures, I had to increase the "Fill Light" setting in Adobe. The originals were a little dark on the subjects, and very dark, almost black on the background. I was trying to set the ISO as low as I might go in a studio lit setting, with two big strobe lights. However, a small flash gun doesn't kick off that much light. So, tonight I'll try ISO 400. That should give me better lit images in the box. It's easy enough to increase the lighting in Adobe, but I find that it's always better to solve problems in the camera before getting to the computer.

As for the reflector and diffuser, I used the Lumiquest Promax System that attaches to my flash with velcro. Below are shots of my camera with the lens, flash, and diffuser. One shot is from the front and the other from behind. It comes with different reflector inserts for the back end or fan top: white, black, silver, or gold. But I left the reflector out so that most of the light (80%) would hit the ceiling for overhead lighting. I then put an opaque covering that comes with it for the front of the reflector to diffuse whatever light projects forward. So hardly any blasts in the subject's eyes.

Last edited by russelljtdyer; 06-05-2015, 17:00.

Comment

Hey Russell that is a lot better you have some great pictures which I am sure the folks are very happy with, now go and enjoy yourself at this evenings event

Comment

Working...
                              X