The first dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first dance

Took this at my nieces wedding - created a wide snoot for this picture. Wide snoot was a piece of A4 black paper. In the marquee it helped to lift the individuals out of the crowd.

5dII, iso3200, 1/100, f7, 24-105@28
    ef-r

Re: The first dance

Hi Brian

Love that shot.
    How did the flash work go?

DaveH

Comment

Brian, that one works well form me the happy couple should be very pleased with it

Comment

The big flash went well, especially outdoors. In the marquee I reverted back to a single flash on the flash bracket
        ef-r

Comment

Wonderful photo.

Off to Google - wide snoot's
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Brian

Could you explain to a simpleton, is using your snoot for the lens just a case of wrapping the black paper round the lens?
            Do you need to compensate in any way other than ISO etc?

Thanks for any tips.

DaveH

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
              Hi Brian

Could you explain to a simpleton, is using your snoot for the lens just a case of wrapping the black paper round the lens?
              Do you need to compensate in any way other than ISO etc?

Thanks for any tips.

DaveH
              Just wrap the paper round the flash which restricts the flash light to a small circle. The smaller the tube you make the smaller the cicle or light. I use spot focussing which gives me the right exposure.

I also sometimes use a pringles tin which will fit over the flash - but this gives a more even light which is not what I wanted. The black paper gives a more graduated light - like a vignette

I was sitting on the floor to get the angle to make the dress fade at the bottom where the snoot took effect. The focus was just below her shoulder
              Last edited by briansquibb; 17-04-2011, 17:39.
              ef-r

Comment

Thanks Brian

DaveH

Comment

Looks good Brian
                  Did you convert to B & W or is this how it was shot

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                    Looks good Brian
                    Did you convert to B & W or is this how it was shot

Stan
                    I converted it in PSE. As I always shoot in RAW then I always take in Faithfull. I see monochrome easily which is why a lot of my photos are monochrome
                    ef-r

Comment

I like the moment you’ve captured, the lightng is not to my taste - but hey, you can't please everyone. :-)

The result is entirely consistent with those settings, and some PP, therefore it's a useful reference, for those who want this type of result.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                        I like the moment you’ve captured, the lightng is not to my taste - but hey, you can't please everyone. :-)

The result is entirely consistent with those settings, and some PP, therefore it's a useful reference, for those who want this type of result.

Trev
                        The shadows at their head were from the stage with the band - totally beyond my control. It is in monochrome to lose the ambient from the coloured spots.

You can only do so much when it isn't posed and you only have a single light source to use.
                        ef-r

Comment

That's really nice - quite dreamy and very much out of the ordinary. I like it.
                          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
                          X