Sweet Charity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet Charity

As part of one of my other hobbies I've just appeared in a production of Sweet Charity. It's a small group containing several local performers who are at top stage schools, so the standards are high. This also means they're good to photograph because they are very precise. I wasn't on stage for the 'Rich Man's Frug' number (they don't include me for my dancing ability!) meaning I had the opportunity to concentrate on getting some images. Lighting was a bit difficult - an LED lit blue background and strong front and/or side lights. I decided I wanted almost a Hockney pop-art appearance in keeping with the show's 1960s setting so underexposed at the time and then boosted saturation, exposure and contrast in RAW processing. I'm pleased with the results and these three are favourites of the cast, the first has generated several requests for prints. Since post processing to this extent is a new technique for me, comments and criticism welcomed.

Last edited by Woolley; 22-04-2011, 20:27. Reason: spelling
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Re: Sweet Charity

Hi Woolley
    A thespian eh?
    Great first attempt at stage photography, #1 for me stands out as the best of your group. I think if I approached a job like this, presumable with difficult lighting I would expose the shot in camera as best I could then alter the exposure in post processing.
    The #2nd image for me needs to be framed a little differently, perhaps if you could have moved a little to your right so that the main subject was framed by the two dancers and lost a bit of the empty space above her.
    #3 for me just lacks something, can’t put my finger on it, maybe it could do with some eye contact with the dancer?
    But all in all a great effort for a first attempt. You have a great opportunity to get some good stuff from this. With open access to a grope like this the world is your oyster. If you have ever been in a photography pit at a show or concert struggling to get the shot you are looking for you would know what I mean. Go for it, make sure your camera is always handy shows like this always have the potential to through up that one, dare I say, show stopping image!
    Mac

Comment

Nice shots Woolley I agree with Mac number one is very good.

Coda
      There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Not my first go at stage photography, I've done a fair bit, it's the processing that's new - sorry if I misled you.

Thanks for the comments on #3 - I really like it, but it hasn't had much response from the cast which surprised me. I can see your point about it lacking something to draw the viewer in. I suspect I'm biased because technically it's not bad considering the lighting I'd got and I expected it to be more popular.

#2 is a case of getting where you can - she was right up to the front row of seats, so no opportunity to move to get the people at the back in the place I'd have liked them. I included this one because she loves it and I don't so I'm interested in an outsider's view.

#1 just works. I'm now very confused on Facebook since nearly everyone on it has made it their profile picture so you've no idea who's posting!
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
        X