One Light Set-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Light Set-Up

Here's a image I did a couple weeks ago as part of a portfolio shoot update. All of the lighting on these
    images was done with one Canon 580EXII Speedlite off camera in a small soft box.

Technical Stuff:
    Canon 5D Mark II
    Lens: Canon 85 mm 1/100 sec @ f2, ISO 100
    Lighting: 580 EX II in ETTL mode
    Camera Exp Comp: -2/3rd

My Photography Blog: http://MikeLuter.com

Re: One Light Set-Up

Thanks for sharing the technical details. Helps me on my learning curve.
    If I even had the knowledge and ability to shoot a photo like this, than I think I would have stept a few inches to the right. So that the branche on the foreground would still be vissible, but not covering the woman's skin, maybe just touching/covering her elbow.
    Eitherway, wonderful picture, very natural use of the flash light, and obviously a most beautiful lady.
    Rutger
    Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
    EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

What a stunning model!!
      Fantastic IQ with great detail and lovely catchlight in the eyes.
      Not being a portrait person, I'm not too sure of the crop.
      I think there is too much of her skirt.
      A tighter crop would be nice to see.
      Agree with the step to the right.
      Also, have you cloned out a branch from her skirt?

Mike
      www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Hi Mike,
        I think i can see what you were trying to do with the bush on the left hand foreground, IMHO i think it works to a point that it adds depth to the image, but a little distracting to the image.
        The Lighting looks great and the image of the model herself is nice and sharp, the only thing i would say is that her right hand holding her hair is really sharp but the hair itself on my monitor looks very blurred?

But.. all in all a GREAT image and one well worthy for a portfolio!

Craig
        :)
        Craig
        A photo is a moment of time captured forever.

Comment

This shot shows you dont always need a fancy light set up to achieve a good shot.
          The oof branches are quite a distraction and as has been said would have been better to move to the right slightly to avoid them. I think too the shot is a little oversharpened - halos visible especially where the dark clothing meets the skin

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

This is pretty much a standard one light plus the sun scenario. It is a very good example on how to light up a person.

If the sun had gone in then a large shoot through umbrella could have been used as a substitute for the sunlight
            ef-r

Comment

This shot shows you dont always need a fancy light set up to achieve a good shot
              True

I like the location, the composition looks a little rushed imho, with the OOF items, stuff creeping into the frame on the right, and the verticals.
              Still a very pleasant image all in all. Agree with Stan on the sharpening.
              As a shot for the model's portfolio, those points are probably irrelevant as the image dosen't detract from her at all.

Trev

Comment

Working...
              X