Safe In the Father's Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe In the Father's Arms

Took this shot a few weeks ago at an early Christmas party. had rented a 580EX (of which I wasn't too sure on how to get the best out of) and so was able to light the subjects by ceiling bounce in a fairly low light room. converted to black and white, and adjusted the 'blacks' in LR to get the rather dark background.

Safe In the Father's Arms by Chodeva, on Flickr

Safe In the Father's Arms II by Chodeva, on Flickr
    Last edited by chodeva; 29-12-2011, 14:53. Reason: including original photo in colour
    regards
    Donald

Re: Safe In the Father's Arms

Very nice. How does this look in colour?
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      Very nice. How does this look in colour?
      thanks Nathaniel. I know you love colour so will edit post and include the original colour version
      regards
      Donald

Comment

Lovely shot ! I like both, although I prefer the colour version as the subjects look much 'better lit'. The unwanted BG could be darkened on your computer.

It would have been nice (IMHO) if the babies hand was on dad's shoulder, although it doesn't spoil the shot.

Trev

Comment

I prefer the monochrome version - mostly because of the background in the color version which is untidy and the 2 lights on the wall are distracting
          ef-r

Comment

Nice images Donald.

I prefer the mono, as it gives better contrast (especially in the faces) on my un-callibrated monitor! It also shows what can be achieved with a little PP play!

Thanks for posting. All the best, Mike.
            flickr
            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I prefer the monochrome version - mostly because of the background in the color version which is untidy and the 2 lights on the wall are distracting
              Yes I suggested that could be addressed in post if required,
              Looking at the two images I think in making the bg darker in the black and white version Donald has darkened the tones in dads hair, causing it to merge with the dark BG - it looks like extreme light fall off and perhaps is not as flattering.

Same thing with the shadow under dads chin and the side of the babies head. In the B&W version the gradual natural shadow becomes a dark void.

It all depends on "the look" you want to achieve, there's no rights and wrongs, as such :-)

Not sure what level of crit you want Donald, and I hope you're not offended.
              Please feel free to disregard my opinions :-)

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                Not sure what level of crit you want Donald, and I hope you're not offended.
                Please feel free to disregard my opinions :-)
                Trev, as much crit as possible. it's the reason I joined the forum because most times you dont see what other people see, so the crit helps me improve. Thanks for the points raised
                regards
                Donald

Comment

I am no expert but the black and white does it for me. Stefan.

Comment

converted to black and white, and adjusted the 'blacks' in LR to get the rather dark background.
                    From looking at the colour version I can see you have captured a better lit shot that the current B&W version would suggest.
                    If you look at the babies eyes, in the B&W version you'll see the pupil has merged with the iris. Again, if it's a contrasty but less detailed look you're after then the current B&W version is OK.
                    The pattern and detail in dads shirt works well in B&W as does the difference in tones between the babies top and the shirt.

Looking at the dark Background: if you ever wanted to make it darker in the camera you can use a shorter shutter speed.
                    Your exif shows 1/30 - a stop and a half faster and it would be deffo be near black/ very underexposed.
                    A faster shutterspeed for babies is good too, although the flash can freeze motion you can still end up with some form of motion blur particularly in lower light like this, and this type of shot.

I think you've done really well, with an unfamiliar flashgun in a party environment were sometimes you may have had to work fast and decretely, in less than ideal photography condtions.

Trev

Comment

thanks for the detailed crit Trev. I agree the colour is better lit and shows more detail. Was very happy with it until I revisited the raw and saw 'differently'. good points raised to consider when shooting as well as processing.
                      regards
                      Donald

Comment

Nice one Donald, the B/W does it for me. thanks for showing the comparison.

bilbo

Comment

Originally posted by chodeva View Post
                          thanks Nathaniel. I know you love colour so will edit post and include the original colour version
                          I like the colour version better. It might be better IMO to crop the left side a bit more so that the picture is in more or less portrait mode- showing the father and child better.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                          X