When worlds collide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When worlds collide

A frustrating day SplashArting, a wasted session this morning where I didn't get a single usable shot, reset everything this afternoon and tried something new which just didn't work, so reverted to a known-good configuration and was rather enamoured by this image, I particularly like the specular highlights which make the whole thing look quite celestial.

I think Colin's 90% frustration rule is definitely true today!

Collide by S.J.P, on Flickr
    Last edited by S_J_P; 09-02-2013, 21:32.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Re: When worlds collide

I like that one and would have been very pleased if it were mine. Never forget that our expectations are now much higher than weeks ago and the majority of our deletes we would have been delighted with previously. Nevertheless, we still pray for those fortunate accidents.

I would lose the very bottom ones though.
    Colin

Comment

Steve I have to agree with both you and Colin in that it can and frequently is frustrating but when you get the shot it is all worth it, I do like your image but would also loose the bottom two droplets

Comment

Very apt title Steve, I do like the starburst effect

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

A very lovely image

Tom

Comment

Very nice Steve where did you have your speedlights positioned for this?

I assume at the front due to the black background
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Very nice picture love the celestial look
              1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
              Facebook
              www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

I like that Steve. well worth the effort.

Chris
                EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                  Very nice Steve where did you have your speedlights positioned for this?

I assume at the front due to the black background
                  I had the blue-gelled Canon 600 EX-RT below and behind the frosted perspex sheet (so it was back-lit which gives a lovely deep colour gradient) and the orange-gelled YN 568EX to the left which was flagged to prevent orange overspill onto the background (cinefoil secured with Blue-Tak!). Here's the set-up, along with the full-frame image (which shows the colour-gradient)

Untitled by S.J.P, on Flickr

Untitled by S.J.P, on Flickr

Worlds Collide Full by S.J.P, on Flickr
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Now that is one heck of a tall tendril.

thanks for showing the setup it is nice to see how other folk do things

Comment

Very deep container put to good use to get those long tendrils.

I also note your spirit level on the solenoid ......... one step up from mine.
                      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                        Very deep container put to good use to get those long tendrils.

I also note your spirit level on the solenoid ......... one step up from mine.
                        I was using a trifle bowl (without permission!) which is around 8" across and deep for this shot, which must have helped! I did notice some interesting underwater-action which I captured in a couple of shots too, the whole mechanics of the water drop
                        Is fascinating.

I put my hotshoe level to good use after seeing yours Colin. A few dabs of superglue and it's now a permanent adornment to my SplashArt solenoid. I hope it's accurately placed, I used a steel-rule as a flat surface to align it.

Muscat, glad the set-up images were of interest, I think it's good to show how shots were taken as it helps me to remember what the set-up was, and others to understand how it was achieved.

Comment

Love the star burst, Steve
                          You guys must all have OBD!
                          Andy

Comment

Working...
                          X