A splash of milk with your coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A splash of milk with your coffee

A revised version of the arabic coffee pot and splash, I believe that the background is now better with only a minimal line between the illuminated backgound and the blask mirrored glass base. I had difficulty is getting a good separation of a coffee splash from the background so changed to dropping milk into the the black coffee in the pot.

5D3, 100mm f2.8 ISL macro @ f16, ISO 400, 1/160, 3 x YN-560 flashes all set at 1/128 power

Re: A splash of milk with your coffee

That is better. The horizon separation line is barely noticeable, because you look at the action first, with the brighter background area second and against that and the way you have lit it, the horizon line is almost inconsequential.

I like the black mirrored glass base and keep meaning to get one for still life photography, but never considered it for splash drops.

Interesting that you are using 1/128 power on the flash and still getting plenty of light for the scene. Presumably much less wear and tear on the flash and sharper drops.
    Colin

Comment

Colin, thanks for the positive feedback.

I was amazed at the ease of lighting this with the YN-560 flash guns at 1/128 power they seem to be even better than the Canon 580 at that reduced power setting and I can have 3 or more sessions (1,000+ shots) without needing to change the batteries, and then they seem to still have ~40% charge left in them for <£50 each they are great value for this type of photography.

What I want to try next is to use a single drop of milk falling onto the black glass sheet and try to capture the crown as it impacts the glass.

Comment

The lighting is certainly better with this one but I'm not sure if i prefer the first splash or this one.

Getting withdrawal symptoms from not using my kit for a few days but have had to resist as there are well over 1000 shots to sort from the weekend.....may have to give in tomorrow though

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Nicely done Ian

Tom

Comment

Me too.

Mrs C is looking at tiles and I was keeping an eye out for a hi gloss black tile to do the same. But you published the thought first, so I will wait until I see your results.
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
              But you published the thought first, so I will wait until I see your results.
              You don't have to wait for me

Comment

I think that's a brilliant shot Ian, totally love all the colours.
                EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Thanks Chris

Comment

Really enjoying all of these. More please.
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

That wouldn't look out of place on the cover of a posh magazine!

Comment

Many thanks Di and MX

Comment

Working...
                        X